Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    I desperately need some new reading material.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I desperately need some new reading material.
 Login/Join

posted
I've read quite a bit of Ray bradburys work, and now I would like something fresh!

I'm looking at litterature from the twentieth century for now. (IE: Hemmingway? Really, there were some good ones during the twentieth century, Honest!)

any suggestions?

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this came up before - maybe search the archives here; but off the top of my head, I'd urge you to read "To Kill A Mockingbird".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...off the top of my head, I'd urge you to read "To Kill A Mockingbird".

You can't do much better than Mockingbird, that's right!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildGravity:
any suggestions?

Read Dahl's Switch Bitch, a four novella collection by one of my five favourite writers. This ain't no Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, tho - it's very naughty, droll and bizarre, and very good.

See his delightful website:

http://www.roalddahl.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Switch-Bitch-Roald-Dahl/dp/0140041796

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I think this came up before - maybe search the archives here; but off the top of my head, I'd urge you to read "To Kill A Mockingbird".

Thank you so much for the suggestion, I had a friend who told me what a wonderful read that is just the other day. With so much praise I think I shall look into it soon.

Although I don't think I'll be searching the archives, any time soon

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Doug, I will certainly look at that soon.

posted Hide Post
I like Dahl's flash piece about a post-apocolypse world where an amputee surgeon takes an orphaned child under his wing and shares a meal with the kid. The last line was something like, "The next meal is on you, kid".

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you get around to it, try Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. A very different style of writing.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search "John Collier" here. He influenced Mr. B. and is very entertaining...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Kill A Mockingbird”, first choice for sure but also “The Old Man And The Sea” by Hemingway, “The Human Comedy” by Saroyan, anything by Steinbeck . Also “How Green Was My Valley”, “A Tree Grows In Brooklyn”, “The Friendly Persuasion”.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last month I read Lord Of The Flies. It completely blew my mind. So vivid and real, and very thought provoking not to mention sad, but sad good, if you get my drift.

WildGravity(cool handle)don't give up on perusing through the archives here. There is some stunning banter echoing through this new/old haunted house. After all, it is a Homecoming, ain't (don't say it Braling)it? You should check out the "What are you reading" threads in the Favorite Bradbury story area. I have used it many times...g'luck.Smiler

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aw, but rocket, I'm laaaaazy.

posted Hide Post
WG, reading is good for you. Puts you into another world, excercises the imagination, improves circulation, and improves the vocabulary; to name a few benefits. But,
if it's hard to find the time, and you're doing something like walking or driving, I recommend recorded books! Many of those mentioned heretofore are available at one's local library and some of the readers are most excellent!

posted Hide Post
I think WildGravity is referring to being lazy at looking back through old archives. She actually is asking for recommendations of the classics to read, B-Two. Good advice none the less Braling.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocky, I think you're right.
The archives are interesting and can be very helpful. By now, there's a treasure trove of information there, along with some goofiness, of course!