Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Singing, hatless, Dublin Begger??

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Singing, hatless, Dublin Begger??
 Login/Join

posted
When I was a kid I read a Bradbury story in the Saturday Evening Post about his time in Dublin. The theme was about how he seemed constantly besieged by beggars, and his uncertainty about how valid their needs. There was one stationed on a particular bridge who sang for his money in the mist and rain without a hat. The story was accompanied by a watercolor of the man singing. Ray never gave him any money. After the beggar stopped appearing and Ray inquired, he was told the man had died of pneumonia. It was one of the most moving stories I�ve ever read and one I have never seen in any of Bradbury�s books. I would be much obliged if anyone has a clue where this story can be found (other than the Saturday Evening Post) as it is one worthy of having and reading again and again.

Thanks,
Max

Posts: 2 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 04 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same reaction when I first read this story:

The Beggar on Dublin Bridge, (ss) The Saturday Evening Post Jan 14 1961; also as �The Beggar on O�Connell Bridge�.
* The Beggar on O�Connell Bridge [�The Beggar on Dublin Bridge�], (ss) The Saturday Evening Post Jan 14 1961

Found in Green Shadows, White Whale and also in the recently released Bradbury Stories 100 tale collection, p.59.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 09-04-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's collected in "The Machineries of Joy," page 142.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post