Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Best depiction by Book Cover of Ray's works

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best depiction by Book Cover of Ray's works
 Login/Join

posted
I like very much the Blackish Cover of an early Something Wicked This Way Comes, as well as a British? edition, which was very colorful. The paperback version (also hardback?? of Death is a Lonely Business was a cover painting by Ray, I believe.

I do not like the big anthology, with the 3-D ish, Superman-movie style lettering.

Hannes Bok represented Ray's writings very well, but did he ever do a book cover? Actually, I have to go looking thru past covers and select which I think is the best representing Ray's work. Is that possible?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad this site is not complete enough to show covers of ALL editions of ALL Ray's works--wonder how many images that would be? U. S. and foreign, authorized, not to mention a few unauthorized. Ray says recently he sketched cover ideas for several new editions to be done by in-house artists at the publisher's. These are either out now or will be soon.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, now there is a very interesting concept for a book - "The collected cover artwork of Ray Bradbury." It would be an amazing visual odyssey covering over fifty years and, in time, would become a classic in itself.

Think of all those fantastic covers.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like we just got our wish - AGAIN!!

An Illustrated Life:
"Coming Soon"
Lovingly compiled by Jerry Weist, Bradbury: An Illustrated life is a "visual biography" of American literary icon Ray Bradbury. Here are the books, magazine illustrations, movie stills and posters, comics, letters, scripts, paintings, journals, photos, book illustrations, and cover art that have informed and infused all aspects of Bradbury's illustrious creative life.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the back of the 40th Anniversary Edition of F451, Ray comments on the original "burning man" DJ art by Joe M., calling it "one of the most effective book covers of the early 1950's," or something to that effect.

I tend to agree. It's always struck me as an incredibly powerful, moving image.

As for my own favorite cover, that's something I'd have to think about for awhile...

Best,
Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This will work...

Click on the address below.

It connects you to the Waukegan, Illinois (Green Town, Illinois) Library Catalog of Ray's stories that ...were made into short films. Kinda strange...is that Ray is listed on one of his poetry books, as 'Fay' Bradbury, obvious wrong key punched in by the cataloger (is that a real word?). I think the other sites at the Library can also be accessed...

click on:
http://catalog.waukeganpl.org/search/aBradbury/abradbury/1,18,175,E/2exa ct&FF=abradbury+ray+1920&1,148

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 10-15-2002).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post