Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Looking for short story "Lest We Forget"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for short story "Lest We Forget"
 Login/Join

posted
Three years ago when I was a 7th grader we read this short story (I believe the title to be "Lest We Forget") in a Scope or Scholastic magazine. Now I'm a sophmore and am eager to find it. There were two main characters, Morgan & Correy, who were protesters of these things called "erasers". The erasers would erase something (like losing a loved one)from that person's memory and it could erase the eraser (meaning that person would not know they had something erased). I'm not sure if this story is just in that one Scholastic magazine, but I want it in any form. Please help.

Posts: 2 | Location: Jefferson, OH, USA | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This story is by David Barr Kirtley (NOT Ray Bradbury). There is some information about it here:

http://www.sff.net/people/davekirtley/forget.html

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just recently caught a glimpse of an upcoming movie preview on the same subject. I think Jim Carrey was in it, but I might be wrong. Anyone know?

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen previews of the movie, which has a really long name that I can not dredge up right at this moment. But it's about a new medical procedure in which certain select bad memories can be erased from your mind. It stares Jim Carrey, Elijah Wood, and several other big names. I actually entered a contest to win free tickets to it. Will let you know if I won!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does that mean you're inviting me to come along if you do win? Kidding.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won, I won, I won!! I'll let you know how the movie is. I'm going to a special premiere in Chicago next Friday!!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imskipper: No kidding! Now that's lucky. When I read your post about signing up to win tickets, I couldn't help but think that I hadn't won "anything" in quite awhile. And the last time I could recall was when the numbers matched up for me on a state lottery ticket (that had actually been given to me as a gift). $4-wow!

Unfortunately, I had carefully put the ticket away for safe keeping until I could stop somewhere and cash in! (A hot coffee and a danish for the road, maybe?) Yeah, you got it - I never could find that darned ticket.

Well, about a week ago it pops up in the back of one of the file portions of my briefcase. The final irony? It was over a year since the sale. Expired, No $4!!

So, think of us when you have settled back into your comfortable cinema seat and are eating your popcorn. (Put the tickets some place safe, but not too safe!) Enjoy!

Movie's title?

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-11-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's called Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. From the previews I wasn't even sure I would go see it, but Entertainment Weekly sent me an e-mail about the contest, so I signed up, thinking I'd never really have a chance of winning. Lo and behold, I got an e-mail today saying I'd won, and that the tickets were on the way. Now I'm actually starting to look forward to it. Thanks for the well wishes, and I'll let you know what I think of it. Somehow, I'll tie my review in with a Ray Bradbury angle.

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 03-11-2004).]