Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    help with something wicked this way comes please

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help with something wicked this way comes please
 Login/Join

posted
hello this is my first post on these boards and im already asking for help sorry but here goes.

i read F451 and loved it. to me the evil in the story represtented big government and how they control the media and rich people control our influences. ive also read the martian chronicals. loved that.

im having some problems understanding SWTWC's. im about half way through the book and will and jim confessed to stealing miss Foleys jewlery. but im confused. does mr. Cooger, aka. miss foleys nephew and the carosel ever lead into a big part in the plot. if so what does this represent. because one thing ive noticed is Mr. bradbury doesnt write just to write, everything he writes has underlining meaning and has a purpose. can u enlighten me on what the carosel represents??

Posts: 38 | Location: kenova WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I can't, without spoiling the story, as its significance becomes clear as the plot unfolds. I will say that, like so many things in Bradbury, the carousel serves as a metaphor, in this case of the human aging process and the effects of time on the human form.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
el stevieboy,

you may find this study guide helpful: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/wicked/

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you guys ever hear the song "The Circle Game?" by joni mitchell? hold on ill get the lyrics.

And tearful at the falling of a star
Then the child moved ten times round the seasons
Skated over ten clear frozen streams
Words like, when you�re older, must appease him
And promises of someday make his dreams
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and dawn
We�re captive on the carousel of time
We can�t return we con only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game.

Sixteen springs and sixteen summers gone now
Cartwheels turn to car wheels thru the town
And they tell him,
Take your time, it won�t be long now
Till you drag your feet to slow the circles down
And the painted ponies go up and dawn
We can�t return we can only look behind
From where we came
In the circle game

So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty
Though his dreams have lost some grandeur
Coming true
There�ll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty
Before the last revolving year is through.
And the painted ponies go up and down
We can�t return, we can only look behind
From where we came
In the circle game

its talking about a carousel representing a life. and when it says "the painted ponies go up and down" its talking about the good times and bad times of the year.

(my GT english class did a discussion on this song once.)

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great song, perhaps the best of MANY using the merry-go-round metaphor either for life itself, or certain aspects of life. This was one reason, as I said, for which I found Ray out of line for his extreme objection to Rod Serling's use of a merry-go-round in the "Twilight Zone" episode "Walking Distance."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SW note: Bradbury has referred to it as his favorite work. I think of it as his "midlife crisis" work. I had read it twice (at young ages--15 or 16 and 24 or thereabouts--time someday to read it in mature old age!) and still quote to myself from it more than any other work. It is his reassessment and reaffirmation of life. I'm finding it strange having reached the age he was when he wrote it, that I am not necessarily thinking of all "new" and "different" issues, but of some of the "same old" issues in new light with a new perspective.

posted Hide Post
thanks for the help guys. I am almost done with the book now and the story is unfolding and making more sense. the part where the illustrated man is looking for will and jim during the carnival was so suspensful. and the blood dripping off of his hands that will and jims face are tattood on, all I can say is wow. and how mr. halloway destroys the dust witch. I am yet again amazed by Mr. Bradbury. what a book!!

Posts: 38 | Location: kenova WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i love that book..... happy reading!

PS. i hope you see the movie, its pretty good.

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q: Were the characters of the "Lightning Rod Salesman" and the ardent young prophet Elias (?) played by the same actor in the two movies Something Wicked and Moby Dick?

I watched the White Whale wipe out everyone, save Ismael, this weekend. What a masterpiece really. Released in 1956, I believe, and the story screened by young RB stands as tall today as it did back then. Gregory Peck - one of the greatest actors of all times! The symbolisms, though strikingly profound and quite obvious most of the time (ie, Orson Wells's preaching from the shipbow pulpit with its crucifix cross-piece, the hair-raising St. Elmo's fire, the doldrum-locked Piquod - right out of S.Coleridge) serve as pure entertainment.

Never seen it? Take an hour and 56 minutes, or so, and settle in to hunt for the "damned-whited whale." I have started the novel several times (must admit I have fallen back on selective portions and random scans).

I have a plan to do so again this summer, hopefully with more success than in my previous harpooning attempts. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad, though! RB did a "book report" in outlining his interpretation of the Melville classic.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-03-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! Tom Fury, the seller of Lightning Rods, and Elijah, the Prophet, were played by the same actor, Royal Dano! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0200455/ Did you recognize him after nearly 30 years?

posted Hide Post
Immediately thought it was he. Then considered, what are the chances of him in 2 RB movies 25 yrs apart! Thus the "?" Thanks, D. I'll check out the site you've attached. (T. Fury and Elijah, yes!)
--------------
*Just checked on Royal Dano: Quite a long and successful career. I am familiar with dozens of movies and tv episodes he played in. His characters will, no doubt, become more obvious in some of these works when I view them at a future date. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-03-2004).]

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
He guested on my favorite series, "Emergency!" Learning he appeared in at least two RB projects puts him on my REALLY good list!

posted Hide Post
Anyone who can, please help

About a year ago, I was reading about R.B. and found a fascinating interview from him about the inspiration for Something Wicked This Way Comes. Something about a carnvial coming to down, A Mr Electro type person, etc. I would VERY much like to have a copy of this. Does anyone have a link to it or a copy?

Thanks for any help!

Posts: 1 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"In His Words" on this site: http://www.raybradbury.com/inhiswords02.html

fpalumbo