Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    There will come soft rains

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There will come soft rains
 Login/Join

posted
This was a short story I read in an anthology as a child. It's remarkable to think how true it has become. It is without doubt one of the best pieces of writing I have ever encountered. It is lost to me now and I would love to receive information of where I could get a copy.

Posts: 1 | Location: England | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right here: http://home.earthlink.net/~hiflyer/APbradbury/twcsr.htm

Or in a copy of Martian Chronicles!

Enjoy.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That link is actually missing the opening two paragraphs of the story. What's up with that?

Posts: 1 | Location: brooklyn | Registered: 12 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always thought it would be cool to hear the story recited with the accompaniment of some soft piano music, like in Bette Midler's THE ROSE or Pink Floyd's DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It actually was presented that way. The X-1 sci-fi radio show did it twice, once on Nov 23, 1955 and again on Dec 5, 1956. I actually heard the 1956 broadcast live and have remembered it ever since. I was searching for a download when I found this thread. If I am successful in that search I will post a link here.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, these people http://www.otrcat.com/xminusone.htm claim to sell the entire "X Minus One" series, including many Asimov and Bradbury stories, on CD for $10! On Amazon.com it's $100.00 just for Part One, with Part Two for considerably less! Anyone know the story on that? I KNOW, though, that some website has or had every episode in some downloadable/playable form! I remember hearing beginnings of a number of episodes on a friend's computer several years ago. If anyone knows what that site is and if it is still up, please post the link!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is an MP3 of the Dimension X version of Soft Rains here: http://www.bsu.edu/web/00taholaday/2004_05_02_GRRarch.html

- this is Gwangi's blog. He has lots of X Minus One and Dimension Stuff online, possibly including the X Minus One version of Soft Rains as well. (X Minus One scripts were usually exactly the same as Diension X scripts). Well worth a browse.

www.xminusone.com also has a few shows, but they are mainly there to persuade you to buy CD copies.

With these old-time radio shows, we get into some interesting copyright territory. In many cases, the copyright on the recording has expired (hence these cheap compilations) - but certainly in the case of X Minus One/Dimension X, most of the source STORIES are still copyrighted, and so people who distribute them surely owe Mr Bradbury some money!

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 11-14-2004).]

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Great Gig in the Sky from DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" would capture the sadness of "There were come soft rains", but would miss the eerieness and underlying menace, I think.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gothic,

That's exactly the song off that record I had in mind. I think it would be great.

Have you done the WIZARD OF OZ/DARK SIDE OF THE MOON thing? You know, mute the movie and listen to the CD. THE GREAT GIG IN SKY is playing while the house is spinning in the tornado.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

What's the music like on the 'soft rains' song/recitation?

posted Hide Post
My eighth grade students read "There Will Come Soft Rains" this week and found it fascinating,especially when I explained the world situation at the time it was written. They were then able to compare/contrast l950 with the state of the world today. What a great way to make history relevant.

Posts: 3 | Location: Hacienda Hts. CA USA | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post