Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Typos in Chrysalis

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Typos in Chrysalis
 Login/Join

posted
As the feast of the Transfiguration (Old Calendar) approaches, I decided to read again "Chrysalis".

Transfiguration is Greek μετᾰμορφόω (metamorphosis).

Early (1946) story, wonderfully imaginative, but not the great writing that Mr. B would later give to the world.

I read it in A Medicine for Melancholy 2001 Perennial reprint. There are many typos. Was this corrected and reprinted?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, since I don't have the edition of A MEDICINE FOR MELANCHOLY to which you refer, I can't speak to any typos in that edition. However, "Chrysalis" appeared in Ray Bradbury's collection S IS FOR SPACE, which has been re-reprinted in a slipcased, hardcover omnibus edition with R IS FOR ROCKET by the U.K. publisher PS Publishing. It has been a while since I looked at it, but I do not recall seeing typos in the version of "Chrysallis" that appeared in the PS edition of S IS FOR SPACE. That PS Publishing omnibus edition is still available, and a link to it is set forth below. (There is another edition available from the same publisher signed by Ray, but it is very expensive.):

https://www.pspublishing.co.uk...-bradbury-4725-p.asp

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Richard, I have (unless it's out on loan!) S is for Space, so I'll check it out.
The biggest boo-boo in the copy I've mentioned is a character named McGuire being referred to as Murphy for a few paragraphs.
BTW, I find another story from around the same time (1946-47) in The Cat's Pajamas collection also titled "Chrysalis", but it's a completely different story.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, I checked the story "Chrysalis" in my Doubleday first edition of S IS FOR SPACE, and there are references to both McGuire and Murphy as well. Perhaps they are two separate characters in the story, and the change in names in the story is not a typo. Just a thought.

posted Hide Post
Richard, naturally that was my first thought, too, but it doesn't work.
There are others that are actually typos, which I could list, but I'm not sure I have the book(s) with me.
We're evacuees from the fires in Santa Cruz County, California, and, though I did grab many Bradbury books, I'm not sure those made it.

posted Hide Post
Braling II, I have seen films of those devastating fires, and the most important thing is the safety of you and your family. I hope and pray things improve soon for everyone impacted. Stay safe and well!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I find another story from around the same time (1946-47) in The Cat's Pajamas collection also titled "Chrysalis", but it's a completely different story.

I heard Ray address this once. He said that he liked the word "chrysalis." That's it!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post