Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's poetry
 Login/Join

posted
I was just curious if there were any other readers who have enjoyed Ray's collections of poetry.

In the mid-1970s, I obtained his first book of poems - "When Elephants Last In The Dooryard Bloomed." Many of the poems speak of his childhood, while others include unique visions.

I was lucky enough to interview Ray while I was news director of a local San Bernardino, CA, radio station. Since Ray lives not far away, we were able to meet several times for various special reports I was working on. During one of the interviews, I was honored that he autographed my poetry book - "To Jay, my long-lost son. Love, Papa Ray."

One of the more unique poems in that first book is possibly one of the longest titles I've ever run across: "Emily Dickenson Where Are You? Herman Melville Called Your Name Last Night In His Sleep."

Maybe other fans might be aware of the subsequent poetry books. I'm trying to find any of the titles if you happen to know.

Thanks.

Jay W. Bradbury

Posts: 4 | Location: San Bernardino, CA, USA | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jw--you're a lucky individual.

There are loads of people on this forum with steel-trap minds and digital memories. I am not one of them. But--

Poetry wise, after Elephants (Remembrance is my favorite), there's The Haunted Computer and the Android Pope, Where Robot Mice and Robot Men Run Around in Robot Towns, and a possibly all-inclusive They Have Not Seen the Stars. All are out of print, as far as I know, and available through the usual vendors, ebay, amazon, barnes, abebooks, etc.

Ray's current book is The Cat's Pajamas, widely available. Heck, buy some extras for Christmas presents. It's an excellent opportunity to read some of his brilliant short stories, and once you're hooked, you can work back from there. An excellent resource is www.bradburymedia.co.uk; click on "books." Happy reading.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jwbradbury:

Also, try this link for poetry info...
www.booksnbytes.com/authors/bradbury_ray.html

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 11-26-2004).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post