Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Help! Can't remember name of short story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Can't remember name of short story
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to know the name of his short story that is about a little girl that used to live on planet earth and moves to mars (i think) she and her classmates are awaiting the sun since it only shows up once in a very long time. The children in her class lock her up in a closet and she does not get a chance to see the sun. These are the only details I can remember, if anyone can help me with the title or the book it's in, I would greatly appreciate it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 16 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story is 'All summer in a day'. It's not set on Mars. (Venus??)
Can't recall which collection it's from off the top of my head, but I do know it's in THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do a search on this board ("find" on the upper left there). Lots of posts about this story.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both so much! I first read this in the 8th grade and I could not remember for the life of me, that was 13 years ago! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Have a wonderful Monday, wherever you are!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 16 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need help too... I remember reading a Ray Bradbury short story published in the Reader's Digest sometime in the 80's to 90's. It is essentially a love story about an elementary school student who fell in love with his teacher. It was one of the first Bradbury stories I'd read as a child and I was immediately captivated by it.

Please help me figure out the title, and if possible, where I can get a copy of it. Thank you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 05 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pilgrim:
I believe this first ran in Saturday Evening Post which ran many of Ray's early stories. The story title you are looking for, if I recall correctly, is THESE THINGS HAPPEN.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"These Things Happen" first appeared in McCall's in May 1951. It has appeared in two of Bradbury's books under the alternative title of "A Story of Love" - the books are Long After Midnight and The Stories of Ray Bradbury.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, PHIL. I figured it may not be SatEvePost. Years ago I actually had the original copy of McCalls. But the past is beginning to get a little foggy. (0h 0h!)

www.catchaway.com

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's not fog, it's the smoke from the California fires!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nard Kordel and philnic! :-)

Posts: 2 | Registered: 05 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good day

Please help me find the title of a Ray Bradbury story. Here is a short description:

The forest burned and the spirits of the forest wandered and did not know where to live. On their way, they saw a house. If you say there were 1,000 rooms in it, that would be too much. If you say 500, that's not enough. They decided to stay there. They took in a homeless boy who had no family. He wasn't good looking, but they encouraged him and promised to take care of him.
The spirits asked the boy to write a book about them. So that people would remember who they were. In gratitude for this, the spirits promised the boy a good place after his death.

Thank you all for your help. Have a nice day

Posts: 1 | Registered: 27 April 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dmitry_47, welcome to the Board. The only Ray Bradbury story I can think of that comes close to what you have described is "The Homecoming". I hope that is the one you are looking for.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2447 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
95% not Bradbury, 5% Bradbury.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not Bradbury. Remember, there are tens of thousands of stories that were not written by Ray Bradbury, but only a handful whose names are just as well known. I'm sure the same thing happens with Isaac Asimov, with fans asking "What Isaac Asimov story was this?", when it was written by someone who just wasn't as well known.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post