Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Hey, we might as well discuss music here, too!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, we might as well discuss music here, too!
 Login/Join

posted
Okay, instead of more long lists (tho' they're FUN!)let's all list the 10 songs we listen to the most at present.
I'll go first:
10.) Run by Snow Patrol
09.) Twist and Shout by The Beatles
08.) The Air That I Breathe by The Hollies
07.) Crying by Roy Orbison and kd lang
06.) Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley
05.) I'd Love You to Want Me by Lobo
04.) Wildwood Weed by Jim Stafford Wink
03.) Cloud Nine by George Harrison
02.) Baby Blue by Badfinger
01.) Day After Day by Badfinger

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't so much listen to particular songs at any given time, but if I may do so, I will list a few CDs which I have listened to very recently:

George Harrison (my favourite Beatle): Living in the Material World
Jeff Lynne: Armchair Theatre
Roy Orbison: Mystery Girl
Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever
(yes, I'm a Wilburys fan)
and for good measure, John Prine: The Missing Years

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you know, Harrison is my favorite Beatle as well. Amazing, wasn't he?

I love the version of 'Here Comes the Sun' he and Pete Ham did during the Concert for Bangladesh.

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poettesse:
What do you know, Harrison is my favorite Beatle as well. Amazing, wasn't he?

He was a beautiful soul.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty good ukulele player too.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George loved the uke - in fact, when he travelled, he would take two just in case he ran into someone else with whom he could play!

So sad (for us) his passing into light.

While my ukulele gently weeps...

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Here's my favorite George Harrison story as told by Ringo Starr to David Letterman.

Ringo: The last time I saw George he was in the hospital, bed-ridden and not doing too good, it was obvious the end was near. My daughter's graduation was in a couple days in the United States and I was torn between leaving George and being at the graduation. George knew this and told me that I had to leave, get on a plane, and be at that graduation. I sat there at his bedside staring at the floor for a long time and George finally broke the silence by saying in as strong a voice as his weak little body could manage, "Do you want me to go with you, mate?"

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been listening to the album (LP disc, vinyl, licorice pizza) CATHOLIC BOY by The Jim Carroll Band. Jim Carroll wrote the book THE BASKETBALL DIARIES, later brought to the screen and played by Leonardo DiCaprio. He's NYC's answer to Jack Kerouac and a former longtime live-in lover of fellow junkie-singer Patti Smith. He also claims to have taught Karreem Abdul-Jabbar the skyhook. The album's popular songs are "People Who Died" and "It's Too Late (to fall in love with Sharon Tate)".

My favorite musiscians/groups are:
THE KINKS
MADNESS
XTC
Harry Belafonte
Wayman Tisdale
Joyce Cooling

That's my short list. But put me on a deserted island and give me one CD and a solar-powered CD player and I'll take ENDLESS SUMMER by The Beach Boys... if not "How To Build A Raft From Sand And Seawater" by David "Sharkmeat" Jones.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there a sort of love triangle involving Harrison, Clapton and.....Harrison's wife? Can anyone fill me in?

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
The song "Layla" was inspired by that experience. I forget the details. I think her name was Patricia "Patti" Hansen. I'll go to the googleheimer and see what I can find. That online encyclopedia thingy might have something on the subject.

posted Hide Post
Pattie Boyd was her name. The Hansen girl was married to Keith Richards. Here's a link about the Harrison/Clapton/Pattie/Layla love thingy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.ht...3174&in_page_id=1879

posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, grasstains! I thoroughly enjoyed reading all about it, and WOW, what amazing photos!
It's certainly a fantastic, romantic and passionate story, this love triangle between two guitar gods and a beauty goddess.....What woman would not want to be so desired? What man would not want to be so desirous? It's quite the fantasy, would make an enthralling movie, but give me my boring old married life any old time!
Thank God I never tried heroin!

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
I liked this passage most.

"As Eric walked through the door George handed him a guitar and amp – as an 18th Century gentleman might have handed his rival a sword – and for two hours, without a word, they duelled. The air was electric and the music exciting.

At the end, nothing was said but the general feeling was that Eric had won. He hadn't allowed himself to get riled or to go in for instrumental gymnastics as George had. Even when he was drunk, his guitar-playing was unbeatable."

posted Hide Post
This is my favorite; an excerpt from a letter Eric wrote to Pattie:
".... i am at the end of my mind, i cannot go back and there is nothing in tomorrow (save you) that can attract me beyond today. i have listened to the wind, i have watched the dark brooding clouds, i have felt the earth beneath me for a sign, a gesture, but there is only silence...."
(sigh) So romantic.....

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
FYI, Clapton plays on Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Wonderwall Music" (billed as Eddie Clayton, if memory serves).
George plays on Cream's "Badge", billed as L'Angelo Mysterioso.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post