Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    DANDELION WINE AUDIO CD
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DANDELION WINE AUDIO CD
 Login/Join

posted
I was at Borders Books today, and they had DANDELION WINE - the brand new audio CD production! This is an outstanding show. The first ten minutes, where Douglas wakes up the town, is some of the most amazing audio theatre I've heard and the music score is better than many modern day movies. Like the review on Bradburymedia said, the CD is Bradbury's play, but the feel of the book, and the feel of summer is all there. Act one reminded me of the book, jumping from scene to scene, but Act 2 hit me like a ton of bricks. I had never read nor seen the play, and what a jolt! The performances are strong, there must be thousands of sound effects (from the Electric car to the Trolley to the Silent Movie organ playing the Phantom of the Opera) and the kids are wonderful. I just finished listening to it, and I can see it in my mind as if I had just watched a movie; it was that vivid. Ray Bradbury hasn't lost his touch one bit! This is the best audio production of his to date!

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only paid $17.95 for it. The $29. version is a library pack which is in a plastic case. the version I got is a regular CD jewel case. Here is the link for that http://www.bordersstores.com/search/title_detail.jsp?id...ype=0&srchType=Title

posted Hide Post
Better yet:

http://www.amazon.com/Dandelion-Wine-Ray-Bradbury/dp/07...9364?ie=UTF8&s=books

Good old Amazon - the Wal-mart of the WWW!

I'll have it!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I'm pleased to hear the CD has made it into bookstores. I believe it was officially released on 1st January. I heartily recommend it to anyone who likes the novel. (I'm not sure it will work so well for anyone who hasn't read the book.)

In case anyone missed it, my review of this production is here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil,
I listened to it again last night with my girlfriend, and she was totally captivated, and she never read the book. I had read your review (it is how I learned about the CD, and it was a great review) so I was worried she may have trouble with following it, but after that opening she said that she felt like she knew the whole town! The one thing I would recommend to people is that it is best listened to at home, like a movie. I heard more subtle sounds and was able to concentrate without the distractions of the car (where I heard most of it the first time around). I do miss some of the scenes in the book, but the Time Machine sequence in this production is amazing. The buffalo stampede was literally making the walls vibrate (well, I had the sound cranked), and she had tears in her eyes at the last scene. I am hoping its a hit and that they do more Bradbury books this way. This is the next best thing to a movie! ~Jim

posted Hide Post
Hey Jim,

it's great that you put it to the test on someone who was new to DW. I agree with you that it's NOT something to listen to in the car.

Colonial tell me they are working on Something Wicked This Way Comes right now. I'm really looking forward to that one - so much potential for sound treatment in the train arriving, the calliope, the quiet of the library, etc.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, The Theatre of The Mind!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colonial is going to ROCK on "Something Wicked This Way Comes!" I just went to their website to see if they had anything about it and they dont seem to be talking about it yet; but there is a note from Ray on the site talking about Dandelion Wine. The site is www.colonialradio.com Thanks for the great info, Phil! I found the recording through your site!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I heartily recommend it to anyone who likes the novel.

Indeed you do - just got it today and saw your review on the back. Can't wait to pop it in (and get Mr B to sign it)!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't resist! I just got back from Borders where I bought the last copy of Dandelion Wine audio. My nine year old son went also, and he purchased a graphic novel called Bones by Jeff Smith. Anyway, we get to the car and I open the cd and put it in. My son Aaron was totally wrapped up in his book. So I'm sitting there listening, I think I heard the junkman right off the bat, and I start on my way home. A few minutes and Aaron puts the book down and has kind of a dreamy faroff look on his face and smiling slightly. This thing sounds awesome! Full blown production with sound effects and top notch score! We pull into the driveway and finish listening to Doug's wakening of the town. I said, "it sounds pretty good huh?" He said yes and we came on in. It was worth every penny just to see that look on his face! I may try and gather everyone around like in the days before t.v. Thanks for the heads up Jim, it's awesome! Everyone, do yourself a favor and get it, now!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket,

do gather everyone around, but put in on good speakers. It's best if you can immerse yourself in the sound.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil, I will, we have a good stereo in the family room. Late last night, I was reading the back of the cd package and I read your comment and name on it. Cool! Your famous!

addendum: I couldn't help putting it on in the car on the way to dropping them off at school this morning, they seem interested except my daughter who was more concerned what people would think when they open the car door. Part of our morning ritual is pausing my music while they exit the vehicle...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you liked it as much as I did, Rocket!

posted Hide Post
Jim, I can't wait until SWTWC gets released. Should be phenomenal!