Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will/Charles
 Login/Join

posted
Why do you think Charles never makes the first attempt to connect with Will?

i'm awesome

Posts: 26 | Location: earth | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is afraid of being rejected do to his old age. The real question is why is why not trying to connect with his dad?

Posts: 24 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I meant is why has will just now started to reach out to his dad?

posted Hide Post
Ironically enough, probably because he's afraid of getting rejected. That's probably why he asked his dad if he was good or not. But don't you think that once Will started his dad should've seized the opportunity? He was still a little hesitant.

i'm awesome

Posts: 26 | Location: earth | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya his dad really missed a good oportunity to build a realationship with his son. Why do think he did not take this chance?

posted Hide Post
I think he has given up to the fact that he's too old. Do you think maybe the old dad will surprise himself and act younger when trying to help Will at the carnival?

i'm awesome

posted Hide Post
I would say that there is a good chance that that will happen. Do you think that will and Jims relationship will build up or become destroyed?

posted Hide Post
I think that Jim is going to lose Will, the one thing he has allowed himself to get attached to. Do you think Jim puts himself in positions for Will to look out for him on purpose?

i'm awesome

posted Hide Post
The relationship between Charles and Will is one of Ray's best. Pushing 50, I have some sympathy with Charles's issues with life and death. He is afraid of life, and that fear is what is aging him and keeping him from reaching out to Will. I have struggled with some of the same things Charles does. A sense, sometimes, that much of life passed you by and that now, maybe, it's too late to make it up. In a sense, it is too late, but it's not too late to begin living life fully, now. For Charles, he can't do it until he captures the idea of humor. It is in being able laugh and take his own fears less seriously that he is able to shake off death (Mr. Dark and the Carnival). It is when he has this life spark back that he can finally reach out to his son, Will, and help. Until then, he is incapacitated by regret and fear. I think that is why he is unable to reach out to Will until later. He has to come to grips and conquer his own demons (fear and regret) before he can really reach out to Will and have "life" to offer him.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The relationship between Charles and Will is one of Ray's best." Mr. Dark, I'm also knockin' on the old 5-0, and your assessment of Charles and Will's evolving connection rings so very true.

Even as a kid, though, this story struck me as wonderful--it was always so neat that, in my view, it was Will that passed the celebration of life up to his father, and not the other way around as you'd expect.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first read this in HS. I think I read F451, MC, then this. This has always been one of my favorite novels -- not just by Bradbury. It captures place, time, mood, exhuberance, fear, and the whole gamut of human emotions. I always loved the relationship between Charles and Will in the story -- even more than the relationship between Will and Jim (although I enjoyed that one, too!). I love how well developed Charles and Will are and how well developed and honest the relationship between the boy and his dad as they both come to grips with their own insecurities. This is what relationships ought to be about. We enrich each others lives, fill each other's holes/gaps, and heal each other wounds -- or provide a "place" where that healing can occur internally. Love this book!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that he is afraid to be rejected by his son, maybe thinking that his son thinks that he is old all well. Charle's fear of being old is holding him back from many things.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark-
I adore how you are so fascinated with Ray Bradbury and his novels. Personally, I've never been fond of reading. I was sort of like Jim...always wanting to do something...play! But you really get into books and that's awesome. Why does Ray inspire you so much? Comes close to home?

Kali

Posts: 15 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i agree --Mr. Dark you seem to know a lot about him? I am interested to know as well

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just like Enlgish IV Groupie, I am also like Jim in that I like adventure and suspense. Now my next question is...Are you more like Jim, Will, or Mr. Halloway? Explain.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post