Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will/Charles
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The short version is that in 9th grade (1969), I was an almost total non-reader. I read Mad magazine and Marvel comics (with a special love for Spiderman, Dr. Strange, and Silver Surfer). I was not into reading. A friend pressured me in to reading F451, and, after much resistance, I gave it a shot. I loved it. What I loved was that it turned me on to ideas. It was the first time that it had occured to me that ideas mattered and that they were real things and they provided meaning in life. I borrowed Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles" and read that. I fell in love with the language. I returned the book, went down to the book store and bought all the Ray Bradbury books they had on the shelf. I read them all. That got me interested in science fiction in general. I read Heinlein, Pohl, Dick, Niven, Ellison, Silverberg, Sturgeon, etc., etc., etc. I loved that science fiction dealt with ideas and possibilities. These ideas and the writing styles and use of language got me turned on to literature in general, and philsophy and religion. The reading of F451 in 9th grade changed my whole life. I met Ray once at a book signing, where he was very, very gracious and nice, and I met in in his home once, where he autographed several items -- including an outline for an article on his writing. Bradbury introduced me to a world of ideas, philosophy, and literature. His writing continues to inspire me. I feel connected to him because so much of what brings me meaning and happiness comes from that 9th grade reading of F451.

Hope that gives you an idea. I went -- instantly -- from a virtual non-reader, to a lover of words.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that Charles never makes the first move to connect with Will because he is afraid of being rejected. He thinks that he is too old and Will will not want to hear what he has to say.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What if it really isn't from fear or rejection, but fear of seeming weak. I know that sometimes people, especially young men, do not want to connect per say with their fathers because it may make them look weak.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that like almost everyone there is a little fear of being rejected inside of us and that is why Charles hasn't really tried to reach out to Will much. He thinks himself too old to be able to talk to Will on the level that he wants to be able to talk to him on. I think that in the end he will start to come around.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Charles' age is just an excuse he uses because it's something out of his control. He isn't afraid of his age, but if he blames that then it's not his fault. Charles is just too hopeless in his own mind and thinks the battle is already lost.

i'm awesome

Posts: 26 | Location: earth | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripped Abs:
Why do you think Charles never makes the first attempt to connect with Will?

I would say that he feels Will is too young for him to understand how charles feels. He feels he might be rejected.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the only reason that neither one of them ever reached out was because they were both too afraid to take that initial step. And i think that the only reason they are becoming closer now is because something happened that forced them to be closer and no one really had to make the first move.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the same that they were both just afraid of rejection. I agree that neither of them really made the first move something was going on to where they had no choice but to get closer to eachother.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
to the original question by ripped abs, i think it may have been because he was not ready to have a child or he, like we talked about in class thought that he was to old to have a child and he just was overwhelmed by the thought of that.

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he is a little scared of the life he sees in his son. He thinks he can't connect, because of his age. I really enjoyed it when the two of them break through the ice and begin to speek and even have fun together.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing." -Blaise Pascal

Posts: 14 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post