Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Yet another "help finding a story" thread!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yet another "help finding a story" thread!
 Login/Join

posted
Hello Bradbury enthusiasts!

I'm hoping you can help me pay a small chivalry to a woman of infinite kaleidoscopic beauty, who saw the Bradbury books on my shelf and told me there was a story she read years ago that she's been trying to find.

I'm almost certain it's a Bradbury story, because she's not the type to mix up an important detail like that. Here is my best recollection of what she described about the story:

The main characters are a married couple who love the theatre. (I got the impression they were an older couple, married a long time ... but I'm not sure if that was told to me, or if my brain just filled it in for no apparent reason.) I think the main thrust of the story is that they love the theatre so much more than they can afford to attend plays, so they often act out plays together, just the two of them.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?? Many thanks for weighing in with any thoughts or suggestions!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sure sounds like something he'd write but I can't say yes for sure let alone name the story.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wholeheartedly agree with dandelion that this sounds like something Bradbury might have written. ("After the Ball" has a similar feel, for instance.)

But all the same, I must reluctantly conclude that it's probably not him. I scanned through my notes for the last four story collections (where this sort of thing is most likely to appear), but nothing corresponds. And it's certainly not a famous story, or an entry in one of the early collections.

Perhaps philnic knows of a TV adaptation that sounds like the description? They're sometimes quite different from the stories they're based on.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before posting my answer, I checked tables of contents for Long After Midnight, The Golden Apples of the Sun, and A Medicine for Melancholy and there's nothing like that in any of them either.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes people mistake stories in collections Ray edited as being by him, but nothing like this would be in those books which were a different type of story--they all had a more Twilight Zonish slant.

posted Hide Post
Many thanks, dandelion and douglasSP, for taking the time to look through your collections and respond to me.

Someday I hope to find whatever story this is, and if I ever do I will post it here in case it might help someone.

Thanks again!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are very welcome and please try the Booksleuth Forum here: http://forums.abebooks.com/dis...ges&redirCnt=1&dbg=6