Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favourite Collection

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite Collection
 Login/Join

posted
An all-time favourite short story is probably a bit too hard to decide at the moment.

But my favourite collection has to be The October Country. It is just full of beautiful stories - The Dwarf, The Emissary, The Scythe and The Wind being my favourites.

I love The Dwarf because I'm a writer too and the title character just resonates with me.

The other three stories I love because they are pure Bradbury - amazingly simple concepts told ever so beautifully.

Posts: 1 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoger:
[B]I love The Dwarf because I'm a writer too and the title character just resonates with me.
[B]

It's amazing how many Bradbury fans are also writers. No other author conjures words with such originality. Writers, I think, are naturally drawn to wizards. It is the child in us, yearning for magic. And Bradbury always has something up his sleeve.

And I too love The Scythe.

Posts: 81 | Location: Somewhere in the Southwest, USA | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lance:
It's amazing how many Bradbury fans are also writers. No other author conjures words with such originality. Writers, I think, are naturally drawn to wizards. It is the child in us, yearning for magic. And Bradbury always has something up his sleeve.

And I too love The Scythe.

As a 'non-writer' I have to agree with your statement about his prose-like writing. Reading Bradbury is such a release after a long day.

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't read all of Bradbury's works. Of what I've read, I love Dandelion Wine.

I can't write, but reading his words makes me wish I could.

Posts: 4 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say that of the inter-connected short story collections ("Dandelion Wine," "The Martian Chronicles," "From the Dust Returned," Green Shadows, White Whale"), "Dandelion Wine" is my all-time favorite, although I love them all. I can't begin to count the times I've gone back to a part of "Dandelion Wine" either to brighten a bad day or to enhance a good one. It's simply marvelous.

As for the unconnected short story collections, I'll have to think about that one for awhile...

-Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would agree with The October Country, too. Besides the Dwarf, The Scythe and The Wind, I also love The Small Assasin and The Skeleton.

Posts: 14 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite collection is either _I Sing the Body Electric!_ or _Long After Midnight_. I prefer the more down-to-earth stories to the horror/Halloween ones.

Posts: 3 | Location: Portland, Oregon, USA | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might enjoy "Twice Twenty Two"
The two collections of "a Medicine for Melancoly, and The Golden Apples of The Sun"
thay are bound in one text they make for good reading any day.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 12-12-2001).]

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post