Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Does anyone remember a dramatized version . . .?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone remember a dramatized version . . .?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

Many, many moons ago I had purchased an OMNI magazine which , back then, use to have promotional tapes offered with the magazine (all wrapped in plastic). One of these had a cassette tape version with two episodes of Ray Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles". It was fully dramatized with actors and music. . .an incredible version which became my favorite tape. . .unfortunatly I've played it over the years about 1000 times and the tapes is pretty well worn out. .
I've fixed it a few times and still have it ( somewhere).
Dose anyone else know about this tape or where I might be able to get a new copy or better yet "CD" of the two episodes.
I hope it's not something that only Ray knows about. . .there's also a great interview on this tape as well.

Thanks for any help on this. .

Larry
larry@ljpro1.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: 22 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, this is kind of funny. Just this past week I had dug out this very same audio tape and gave it a listen again, then I come here to find your question!

I have the tape right here in front of me, so I'll give you the details off the case. It's called "Omni Audio Experience" and has four hovering paramids on the cover, one of which seems to be channeling a light ray coming down from space and exiting through its front as a rainbow beam. It reads: "Premiere Issue. Stories from The Martian Chronicles By Ray Bradbury." Then, lower down: "Subliminal Messages: Are You Being Brainwashed?" This latter feature is done by someone other than Bradbury. Although this tape contains very good dramatizations of "And the Moon Still Be As Bright" and "The Off-Season" and an interview with Bradbury, it also contains the aforementioned feature on subliminal messages, plus one on memories and another amusing piece called "Quarks."

The tape, copyrighted 1987, was produced by Bonneville Media Communications in collaboration with OMNI Publications International, Ltd. I have no other details other than this info culled from the cassette insert, so unfortunately I'm not sure how you can obtain another copy. Perhaps if you did some Internet searches? I don't believe Ebay has this item currently, as I regularly check that site for Bradbury stuff people may put up for sell; maybe it would be worth you while to check that site periodically in case this does pop up.

I can see why you'd be interested in a CD version -- the sound quality of this unique recording is outstanding already. This is such a good tape to play while wearing headphones, lying down in a dark room with your eyes closed. The three-dimensional, surround effects are so realistic and transports you to Mars so you feel as though you are actually there in Bradbury's stories. Truly a one-of-a-kind experience!

Best of luck locating this, ljpro1! Let me know if you find a CD version....

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post