Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Picasso Summer
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Picasso Summer
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Mr. Bradbury- I am an avid fan and hears and met you years ago when you spoke at Cerritos College in Norwalk, California. I love the film-"The Picasso Summer" that you wrote and have tried everywhere to secure a copy. Any suggestions? I'm at wits end. Thank you in advance. Good health to you.
all the best,
greg potzler
wildwgp@yahoo.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg,

the film doesn't appear to have ever had an official release on DVD or VHS, but it is occasionally available from rare film dealers. Here's one current link (for a PAL version - make sure you have a suitable DVD player and TV/monitor!):

http://www.robertsvideos.com/browse.php3?catid=135

Generally, a Google search "picasso summer" AND "DVD" eveery few months should help you find a copy you can afford. (It worked for me!)

Incidentally, Mr Bradbury was not terribly pleased with the film, which is why he withdrew his name from the screenplay and substituted his pseudonym "Douglas Spaulding".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg, there is a copy of the film PICASSO SUMMER (described as region-free and playing anywhere) listed by a dealer on eBay for a set price of $9.95. Just type in "Picasso Summer" as your search term, and check the "Buy It Now" listings. However, I make no warranty as to the quality of what you might receive!

I have a copy that I obtained elsewhere, and believe that Ray is rightfully unhappy with the film. The filmmakers deviated significantly from his screenplay. Despite a fine cast (Albert Finney and Yvette Mimieux) and a great score by Michel Legrand, the movie (in my personal opinion) is simply not that good, especially when you think what might have been.

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Incidentally, Mr Bradbury was not terribly pleased with the film, which is why he withdrew his name from the screenplay and substituted his pseudonym "Douglas Spaulding".

Hey now!

Actually, it was a pretty bad film wasn't it?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How can a movie be considered bad with Marty Ingels in the cast? Wink

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I'm Dickens, He's Fenster" didn't last long either.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And that even had John Astin, too!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

Hey now!

Actually, it was a pretty bad film wasn't it?

Sorry, Doug! Better make sure you attach your REAL name to your movies, lest you be thought of as another Alan Smithee, Cordwainer Bird, or P.H.Fazak.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cordwainer is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Saturday night, Mr B handed me a homemade DVD of The Picasso Summer, and asked if I could make him four copies. I said probably, as I have Toast 9, Popcorn, and the like.

Made the copies and delivered them to him at his home yesterday, along with a DVD of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, series one, which he had earlier asked me to obtain (And So Died Riabouchinska, Shopping For Death), and a lovely bottle of Australian Cabernet Merlot, which I threw in as an added bonus.

Had a nice visit with Alexandra, Donn, and Jon Eller as well.

Then I left (thru the basement and the garage).

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...Then I left (thru the basement and the garage).

I hope Alexandra, Donn, Jon and Ray don't think you're still down there in the basement.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
...Better make sure you attach your REAL name to your movies, lest you be thought of as another Alan Smithee, Cordwainer Bird, or P.H.Fazak.

I know it's odd to quote myself in a post, but I offer bonus points to anyone who can state the real identities of the the pseudonymous Smithee, Bird and Fazak. Anyone?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope Alexandra, Donn, Jon and Ray don't think you're still down there in the basement.

Oh no - Jon personally shut the garage door after me!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
I know it's odd to quote myself in a post, but I offer bonus points to anyone who can state the real identities of the the pseudonymous Smithee, Bird and Fazak. Anyone?

I know Smithee has something to do with Don Siegel, and of course, most on this board probably know about the Bird-Ellison connection.

Fazak I do not know.

Have I earned enough points to get me a trip to Edinburgh?!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Partial credit to Spaulding for mentioning the name Don Siegel, although this is only PART of the answer for Smithee.

A point for Bird-Ellison, although I should push you to give first names as well as surnames.

Nothing for not knowing Fazak. (And a point deducted from philnic for the misspelling. It's supposed to be Vazak. Don't know where the F came from back in June 2008 when I did the original post.)

Enough points to get you to the Azores, perhaps, but more work needed for the Porta Delgada-Edinburgh leg of the journey.

Anyone else wish to answer for the remaining points?

- Phil