Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Does anyone know?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know?
 Login/Join

posted
I am wanting to know who to contact about making a Ray Bradbury story into a stage play. Who would I contact about that?

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His agents, Don Congdon Associates.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks - where can i find that info?

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a website containing the address and phone number for Don Congdon Associates, Ray's literary agents:
http://www.writersservices.co.uk/WrHandbook/us_don_congdon.htm

However, you may first want to check to make sure the story you are interested in adopting for the stage has not already been published as a theatrical script. I suggest you run a search on the website of Dramatic Publishing, which offers copies of play scripts based on several of Ray's works, at very reasonable prices. Their website is:
http://www.dramaticpublishing.com/

Posts: 2445 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much. I did the search and did not find it anywhere.

posted Hide Post
I sent them a letter - wish me luck! lol

posted Hide Post
My child says that thay were to read 451 in school but some teachers say that its too controversial and had been banned in some areas.Any truth to this. I think they are confusing the subject of the book. any one know if it was banned?

Posts: 1 | Location: tx | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a little searching and found that it was removed from a required reading list by a high school superintendent in 1998 in Foxworth, Mississippi. A parent complained about the use of "God Damn." And in a school in California in 1992, students received copies of the book with "offensive" words crossed out. When parents and students protested, the district stopped that practice. I would guess there are other similar incidents here and there, but it's not on the list of top 100 banned or challenged books. I hope you let your child read it. There is so much he/she can learn from it. Just ask Mr. Dark--reading that book had a strong positive impact on his life. Every few years I reread that novel and each time I get something new from it. I honestly do not think there is anything in it that could negatively affect your child. I respect your concern though, and would recommend you read the novel first if you have any reservations.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can believe that it's been banned - but not even in the top 100 list? Interesting...My bro has to borrow mine this year as it's required for his frosh english clas at his catholic h s

[This message has been edited by Miss Piggy (edited 09-07-2003).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: 12 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Books of all sorts are "banned" today. Has always.

Carry a Bible into a public school today and take it out of your school bag.... and you'll find out that in the school districts in many cities and towns this is a big no no!! Illegal or legal, unless one hire an attorney and/or make a big fuss, many people choose to leave a particular book either at home, or alone on a shelf...
( or memorize it! )

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 09-06-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I believe it has been posted before, the link below will take you to Ray's written response to his discovery that some of his works were being censored (this essay also appears as an afterward to the currently in-print hardcover version of FAHRENHEIT 451:
http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html

Posts: 2445 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had read this article before, but really enjoyed reading it again. I think when he's angry, he writes even more beautifully! There are so many great phrases and sentences, I found myself reading parts over and over. It reminded me in parts of "Usher II," when he talks metaphorically about the censors lining all the story characters up and executing them by firing squad. He wrote that over 50 years ago, and it's still true today. When I looked at the list of banned books last night, I was stunned by some that were on the list and sickened by the whole concept.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tread lightly and knowledgeably....

click on, or type into finder: http://censorship.ncte.org

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm sure the irony of F451 being on a banned list is not lost on anyone here...
i love the movie of this story and it saddens me every time i watch it. it's frightening how crazy fundamentalists can make things such as this come true. i am planning our town's first big community Halloween event (and I'm reading The Halloween Tree right now, too, lol) and i live in the bible belt and it is amazing to me how many people here are against halloween because they think it has something to do with satan. their ignorance is what is scary to me!
but back on topic, it is bizarre which books make it to the banned list - our community went through the whole Huck Finn thing a while back because of the use of the "n" word. P.S. people, if you censor everything, especially something that shows the history and dialect of a particular time, then the truth will soon be replaced with idealisitc versions that are nothing but a bunch of bull.

posted Hide Post
I have passed these article (below) along to several people since this summer. As I followed the progress of this post, I kept thinking that sharing the American Educator (summer edition 2003) would be appropriate to reveal the state of affairs in the US secondary level of teaching.

("I hate the man named Status Quo")

It seems too often that we are headed toward Mr. Orwell's 1984 and Mr. Bradbury's F451. I dedicate an entire quarter to such critical literature in hopes that a Clarisse or Guy is sitting in the class sparkling with, or at least beginning to warm to, the messages on the pages.

Full articles but well worth skimming through: http://www.aft.org/american_educator/summer2003/thingruel.html
http://www.aft.org/american_educator/summer2003/excised.html
http://www.aft.org/american_educator/summer2003/bannedwords.html

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 09-10-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post