Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I can't exactly remember my first story. My high school English teacher, back in 1970, practically swooned at the mere mention of Mr. Bradbury's writing style and, of course, my classmates and I thought she was a complete idiot. We thought that only for a brief while, however. Only until she coaxed us into reading some of his work. After that, I only remember reading Bradbury constantly.

Two of those early-read stories that affected me most were "The Powerhouse," and one that I believe was called "The Strawberry Window." If you haven't read these, or haven't read them lately, they are great.

Posts: 16 | Location: lemoore, CA USA | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul,

"Swooning" is, indeed, proper when it comes to Ray Bradbury's poetic style and dynamic insights into human nature.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad was an avid Sci-Fi reader, and we had hundreds of paperbacks at the top of our stairs on the dusty shelves. I would look through, picking out some and putting some back, never really reading any. I was a Hardy Boys fan up until that point.

I think the first one I read off of the shelf was "The October Country", because it was short stories (I was only 13 or so, and that meant easier reading), and the cover was creepy-looking. I think I got hooked on "The Crowd" first, and it's unique ideas. I finished that, then 451, then scoured that shelf and my uncle's for "I Sing the Body Electric", and others.

Even today, if there is a long trip and I need reading material, I reach for Bradbury. He seems to hold the same unique position as someone like Roald Dahl, whose stories cross from adult to child and back again, suitable for and loved by both.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first story I ever read was in Junior high. It was "All Summer in a Day" and then I didn't read anything else by Ray Bradbury until about a month ago when I found a copy of Fahrenheit 451 at a thrift shop. I remembered my mom mentioning something about it being good so I picked it up. I love that book! Reading it I just kept nodding my head, like "Yeah, I get this. That makes sense." It's so realistic that it's scary. Now I'm reading The Martian Chronicles on the recommendation of a fellow literature student. I can definitely see myself becoming a Bradbury fan.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Martian Chronicles was what got me interested in Ray Bradbury. Only it was the mini-series. I read the book later. That was back in 1979. Almost a quarter of a century later, I'm still a fan.

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first read Ray's "All Summer in A Day" way back when in seventh grade. Then, unrealizing, I read "There Will Come Soft Rains" in ninth grade. But the book that first absolutely hooked me was Fareheit 451, it's my favorite book. You can tell by my username that I'm crazy about Ray!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sneaker story out of Dandilion Wine, it was in my 6th grade reader. I lived in Greentown" for over 25 years and I often explored the areas mentioned in the book.
When I first moved back to Waukegan ( Greentown) out of high school, some of the streets were still not pavwd over and hade either the cobblestone or brick surface and marks where the trolly ran. The ravine was ( and may still be ) a scary plce

Posts: 1 | Location: Houston tx usa | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WA-HOO! This thread broke 100! As long as it's around, the ravine will ALWAYS be a scary place! It was when I saw it nearly 20 years ago. If it ever stopped being scary...THAT would be scary!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RainWalker:
I started about 11,my sister,who,i might add,isn't a real big Ray Bradbury fan (dumb,huh) was giving me a free reign in some books she was giving away. Instantly,my eyes fell upon a red book,Labeled "Illustrated Man" So i thought 'Hey,what the heck,let's give it a whirl' opened it,and from that moment on I was in a world of my kind. Dont ask.....
and now my world basicly and mostly revolves around HIM.
YYYEEEHA LONG LIVE RAY BRADBURY!!!!!!!HIPH IP HOORAY!!!!

Double Ditto, Although I Read Something Wicked First And Then My Older Brother Recommended The Illustrated Man. I Think I Was In The 7th Grade. Our Stories Are Astoundingly Similar, As Are Our User Names.
You Complete Me.

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny you should ask that. It was during my English study class I was in was reading an excerpt from I think a Ray Bradbury novel which could of been "Dandelion Wine". I recollect a section which really hit me with the feelings of nostalgia. Involving a boy on the beach, looking at it and cherishing the memories for the one last time, never to return. I could be wrong this was going back 12 years or so.

Posts: 24 | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds more like "The Lake."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At school I recall reading an excerpt from what I think was "Dandelion Wine." A boy was visiting his favourate beach and reminiscing on all the fond memories he once had. He was never to return to this beach again in his lifetime. That just struck a cord with me and I asked my tutor who the author was and are there more books written. Oh yes! replies my tutor to which a realm of tales and wonder were open up to me.

Posts: 24 | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Dandelion may be right. I don't believe there were any beaches in DW. Was there anything in the story about a sandcastle and a drowned girl? It may be The Lake, may be something I've not read yet.

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely no beaches appear in "Dandelion Wine." I don't believe a beach is even mentioned. This made a deep impression on me because when I visited Waukegan after reading the book twice, I was surprised at how large the lake actually is. It seemed it should have been a "presence" in the novel, but the fact that it wasn't serves to make it that much more universal to people who didn't grow up near any large bodies of water. There is a story of visiting a beautiful body of water, a pond or stream or something, never to return, in the story "The Trolley" in "Dandelion Wine." That or "The Lake" seem the most likely candidates for the story mentioned.

posted Hide Post
I think something tells me I must
re-read "Dandelion Wine" again.