Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Me, too. I've been meaning to do it for six months or so now.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lets make July "Dandelion Wine" month on the board. (this "board" really needs a club-name). That should give us time to finish reading whatever we're reading now, and I think July fits perfectly with the feel of the book.

We could have a month-long virtual small-town picnic. Perhaps dandelion could organize a chat?

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something like that would give me more motivation (i.e., public ridicule) to get it read. I haven't read it since high school. Back then, I had to sort it out through cave drawings, so it seemed a bit slow. I have heard so many praise it so highly that I'm anxious to read it now that I have a few seasons behind me. When I first read it, it seemed a bit slow compared to the heavier SciFi reading I was doing then.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good idea, WritingReptile. I will be happy to reread the book, as its been awhile, and July seems like a good month. I'm also rereading "Fahrenheit" this summer. I think this will be my third or fourth time, and I can't wait.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
July is "Dandelion Wine" month? Sounds good to me.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a fantastic idea. Dandelion Wine is without a doubt my favorite Bradbury and my Favorite Book. I reread parts of it, short-story-fashion all the time. Right now, my projects for the summer include finishing the last bit of Hard Times, Dylan Thomas's Under Milk Wood, and the big one (gulp) Gravity's Rainbow. After a month and a half of Pynchonian surrealist craziness, I predict relishing the chance to get back to good old Green Town for a little while. I don't have the internet when I'm not at school, but I'll work that out somehow.

Looking forward to it,
Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DanB: Teach summer school. We don't want to lose touch with you.

I have GOT to work on my spelling! (or typing)

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 05-07-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Fits perfectly with my plans to read "Dandelion Wine" all the way through once each decade. I read it in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, got halfway through it last year for the fourth time, and keep meaning to pick it up again soon. Of course, I have read some of the individual stories more times than that!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey thats a great idea! I should be settling in well to the holidays by then. And probrably will of finished reading "The Illustrated Man" and Ben Bova's "Return To Mars" before july is in. Let me see now, what shall I pack in the virtual hamper? A ha!...a good california red wine or maybe some home made lemonade, some crusty hedgehog bread, a nice bit of brie, some red and white grapes...ah that should do the trick.

Posts: 24 | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got hooked on Ray Bradbury just recently when I picked up 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'. 'Tis a pitty I could not have been smitted by his works earlier in life--but perhaps I wouldn't have had the capacity or depth to truly appreciate his works.

But my Gosh, it has definately changed my life--for the better. Ray Bradbury's literature has awakened my senses and made me so much more aware of the beautiful, awe-inspiring world around me. It's helped me remember how to ponder life and meditate upon it's many wonders. To listen to the wild chorus of voices whispering and mumbling and faintly calling in my head in the wee hours of the morn.

((sigh))

There you have it. (My first post...wheee!) =P

I sing, therefore I be...~*

Posts: 1 | Location: Oak Park, IL, USA | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is such a great idea, and I'm really looking forward to it! I run a little book club at the school where I teach, but it will be fun to discuss books with adults. Maybe we could start a fifth strand here (I'm not sure strand is the right word), and call it the Virtual Book Club, or some such thing. We could select a different novel every month. Bradbury heaven!!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talking about Dandelion Wine::

Today the weather worn and age battered steps that lead to the Ravine, in Waukegan, have company. A beautiful walk-way has been built over the Ravine, for visitors to the 'Ray Bradbury Park', located adjacent to the Ravine.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 05-08-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imskipper, I Love The Virtual Book Club Idea. Anyone Else?

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion-child,
It's always wonderful to hear people's recollections of being turned on to Bradbury, as it is also a pleasure to see a new devotee "sprout" up on the board with great stuff to say. This is never ever to say that our original Dandelion, however, has "gone to seed".
Before I am hauled away by the Bad-Pun Police...

Nard- that's great!- there's a Ray Bradbury Park, seriously? Road Trip!!
Mr. Dark- thanks. I'm enrolled for a few weeks of summer classes up here- the rest of the time... I guess I'll scoot to the public library and check in from there. I won't be around as much, but I'll be around.

insert clever desalutory-thing,
Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first thing I ever read by Bradbury was "Something Wicked This Way Comes", I saw the movie and had to read the book. Then Farenheit 451. Hey, does anyone know if "The Halloween Tree" was ever made into an animated movie? I could have swore it was...

Posts: 3 | Location: fl | Registered: 15 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post