Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
jimhanks:::::::::::There is much to enjoy of Ray's works....especially many of his short stories....

Hery! Where do you live? Do you really live in China?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember being overwhelmed by 'The October country', such strange, often lonely, spooky, but heart touching stories.
then it was everything else I could get my hands on, especailly The Martian Chronicles and, best of all, Dandelion Wine.

rsg

Posts: 1 | Location: Boston, MA USA | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up the massive stories of Ray Bradbury and just fell in love with it! I just picked up a four pack of Bradburys books (Martian Chronicles, F451, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and The Illustrated Man), just so I could own them(I read them in the library first).

"Would we have accepted Christ so readily if He had come in the shape of an octopus?"~Ray Bradbury, The Fire Balloons

Posts: 8 | Location: Harrow, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F451 got me hooked on Ray Bradbury.
I have read almost every Bradbury book since middle school.

Posts: 1 | Location: New York, NY, USA | Registered: 24 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I am to name a story that was of my earliest remembrances of Bradbury, there are 2 , at least, that call out....

The Tombling Day

and...

Death and the Maiden.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first book I read was "R is for Rocket", then "S is for Space". The one that hooked me was F451 with that first line: "It was a pleasure to burn."

Posts: 5 | Location: Nitro, WV | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard Kordell:
I just start reading bradbury's story not long before.In fact,I almost Knew nothing about him.Could you tell me some of his famous stories?
I'm really a Chinese,and i live in xi'an,a big city in northwest of China.
I think we could keep in contact with each other by e-mail.My address is jimhanks@yahoo.com

I'm a service man.

Posts: 8 | Location: Xi'an.He Nan pr.China | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jimhanks::::

Thanks for asking.... but the e-mail I sent got returned.... says address is permanently closed. Can you get me a better e-mail address....?

In the meanwhile::: I was brought up on short stories of Ray's, not the lengthier, Novel form.
So, try cutting your teeth on these 3:

S is for Space...

R is for Rocket...

The Golden Apples of the Sun.....

For longer works, try :
The Martian Chronicles...
...the novel that revolutionized respect for Science Fiction back in the early 1950's....

Talk later

NK

posted Hide Post
Nard Kordell:
I'm awfully sorry that the addres is wrong,the correct one is jimhanks710@yahoo.com.I forgot to add 710.It's my fault.
Thanks for your information.I will look for it on internet.

I'm a service man.

Posts: 8 | Location: Xi'an.He Nan pr.China | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first Ray Bradbury book was "Fahrenheit 451". I read it when I was 15. As far as I can tell, Ray Bradbury is a great writer who can look past the normal and original to the distannt times not so far off. In any case, my hat's off to you Ray Bradbury, and may you always write extraodinary novels!

Posts: 2 | Location: Houston, Texas United States | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had read a few of his books in high school, but wasn't really hooked until I taught Martian Chronicles. Then I had to read everything of his I could get my hands on. Another favorite of mine is October Country. Right now I am reading Let's All Kill Constance, which I'm really enjoying.
Thanks to jrobbiep, whose Dec. 25 posting I just discovered. I have been working with my Language Arts classes on writing more engaging story beginnings. Last week I took in Let's All Kill Constance and read the first page to them. They really liked it and wanted to know more about what happened next. Now you've given me another idea of an opening to read to them, jrobbiep, as it's been awhile since I've read Fahrenheit, and I'd forgotten the great beginning. I thank you, and my seventh graders thank you!!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i don't remember which Bradbury story got me hooked but i do remember reading "The Laurell & Hardy Love Affair" and thinking it included the greatest love scene ever written. it's simple, yet explains so much. if only my own love life could be that way

[This message has been edited by vagabond1 (edited 02-10-2003).]

[This message has been edited by vagabond1 (edited 02-10-2003).]

Posts: 2 | Location: san antonio TX 78211-3735 | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read Fahrenheit in my high school English class (oops, did I forget to turn that in at the end of the term?) followed shortly by "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit and Other Plays..." followed by anything of his I could get my hands on. Martian Chronicles is definately one of my fave books, period.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'm just getting started on Bradbury. Last week we read "The Pedestrian" in my 10th grade English class. When I read the author bio in our books, it said he'd also written "Fahrenheit 451" and I'd always wanted to read that so I was finally given the push. I purchased the book and just finished it earlier today. I am completely smitten. Today we read "The Emissary" and it still gives me the chills. I've been telling everyone about it. Also, I went to the library today and checked out "The Martian Chronicles", "From the Dust Returned", and "Something Wicked This Way Comes" which is the first one I've started. He's an amazing author.

Posts: 2 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury is life-changing. I'm glad you're getting into him. Here are two anthologies I'd recommend with some of my favorite stories listed:

THE OCTOBER COUNTRY
-- The Dwarf
-- Skeleton
-- The Small Assassin
-- The Scythe
-- Uncle Einer
-- The Jar

THE ILLUSTRATED MAN
-- The Veldt
-- Kaleidoscope
-- The Long Rain
-- The Rocket Man
-- The Exiles
-- Zero Hour

This isn't exhaustive, just some quick highlights.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post