Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
<<Singthebody: If you want to take another journey into the life of RB (travels, characters, challenges, twists and turns), give "Green Shadows, White Whale" a try. >>

Thanks, fjpalumbo...I read GSWW quite a while ago, and DID love it! I think there is precious little out there of RB's that I haven't read...and reread. RB is the reason I became a writer, and not an illustrator...changing my major in college many moons back.

I enjoy other writers, but truly savor RB. His literature is more than a good read, it is a treat for the senses and a great adventure. It's wonderful to find a place to come with others who appreciate his marvelous gift.

Thanks again for the suggestion...GSWW is a must-read for all Bradbury fans...so I second that recommendation to all!

Posts: 15 | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's great you became a writer, but actually Mr. Bradbury's work inspires people into writing, illustrating, and other creative endeavors such as music and acting.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I'm New.
Well my English teacher in 10th grade (I am curently a junior) talked about him. I saw "The October Country" on its opening night in Hollywood. Which was excellent, so my father got me "One More For The Road" Which really hooked me.
For English this year I also read Farenhiet 451, which was amazing.

October Country as A play was great.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
It's great you became a writer, but actually Mr. Bradbury's work inspires people into writing, illustrating, and other creative endeavors such as music and acting.

I still do illustrating, but writing is my passion. The funny thing is, that one of my teachers at Otis Art Institute in LA was Joe Mugnaini, who, as you know, did a number of illos for Bradbury. Joe led us in a protest "draw in" when the city was taking down the lovely old victorian houses on Bunker Hill. Small world.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the story that started me is one that the title has been eluding me, and i would love help remembering! 4th grade, the story where the school children lock the girl in the closet and she misses seeing the sun.....it has haunted me, though i can't recall the title......

Posts: 1 | Location: gilbert,az,usa | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"All Summer in a Day"

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha ha. I vividly recall the first Ray Bradbury story I ever read. My mom tossed a book in my lap one morning when I was eight years old (year of 1965). It was THE ILLUSTRATED MAN. I opened it up and started reading "The Veldt". It scared the hell out of me. But I couldn't stop reading it. My mom was doing housework and as I read the book I followed her from room to room as she cleaned so that I wouldn't be alone. I was stuck on Bradbury from that moment to this day.

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Fog Horn...what a great, beautiful, and moving "short story"!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first of Mr. Bradbury's was 'Rendevous with Rama'!.! What a story to start with huh? I was 14 or so, and odd as it may be a friend just read it at 43 and was amazed!. I got him interested in NASA TV and me being avid in that he just had to ask..."How soon could we detect something coming at us from 'Out There'?" "And how far away would it BE?"
Anyone know for sure? I still could only speculate 'Cassini' at Saturn because the 2 Voyagers, and Pioneer 10 are now to weak to send us much in time. And at more than 90AU from us it would take some time to know!.

Posts: 35 | Location: Fort Worth,Texas,USA | Registered: 13 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be mistaken, but I thought RANDEVOUS WITH RAMA was by Arthur C. Clarke. A little help out there?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may have been, I just read about it in one of the other categorys on this website. Let me retrace and see what the other person was talking about...but yes your right..it was Clarke!! I have it at home and I'm in las Cruces but I know your right where did I see someone talking about that? In 'what are you reading'...sorry my mistake. I'll be right back!

Posts: 35 | Location: Fort Worth,Texas,USA | Registered: 13 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OOPS my BAD!! I just read that in 'what are you reading' and forgot what I was reading. Geuss I'm getting older than I thought. Not to old for new slang though huh?!! Oh, and I wish I had found this site long ago! there are a lot of things I had forgotten were Ray's like 'Dandilion Wine'. Hope I still have that at home..time to re-read that as forgetful as I am. I'm sure if its not at home its in the things my late Mom had in storage. Thanks for reminding me!

posted Hide Post
Well and since I've had a chance to talk Shop in 'Resources, "Mars"'. My mind is working again and I now recall my first Bradbury was 'Dandilion Wine'. I was 12 and Mom not High School had me read it. Thanks Mom, and with such a bad memory maybe I should re-read that before I re-read "Lord Fouls Bane"!
I hope I still have D W somewhere. Remind me again how old would that second or third edition be again??

posted Hide Post
For me the first was "The Smile". At first I didn't like it at all. To say more I was shocked.That time I was about 12. But years passed, and Bradbury became my favourite. That was after "Dandelion vine". It's still my mostly beloved book.
Ray Bradbury is really great!!!

Posts: 1 | Location: Khabarovsk, Russia | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was the first Bradbury story I ever read too!....actually that was only about two years ago for yr11 english (i guess that would be high skl in US). Then we did F451 and I just fell in love with it! I have this dream of making a [better] movie based on the book if I end up goin into film after my degree....but id be too afraid that I'd ruin it as so many novel-to-film creations tend to do. And who knows where I'd ever get the money....I'm such a romantic sometimes

Posts: 9 | Location: ACT, Australia | Registered: 26 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post