Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Biplane1,

I don't have that video but my library does. I've watched it a couple of times. Nice. Besides the clips of Bradbury, I especially enjoyed seeing the clips from The Ray Bradbury Theatre. Even though some of the stories he tells have been told countless times before, I highly recommend it for newcomers and old-timers alike.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, have checked out this video from the library. Great stuff. The only part that I found a bit disappointing is when he's shown going into the kitchen to get another beer, which (if memory serves) is Coors; one of my least favourites, as I prefer the micro-brewed British style ales.
The most touching bit is when he talks of(during nights when he can't sleep) getting one of his own books off the shelf, reading a story or two, and being thankful he's been able to contribute so much to the world.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,

I'm not so disappointed with the Coors in the segment you mention as I am, if memory serves, with the fact he's wearing white tennis shorts. An unfortunate choice for a great writer when appearing before the camera.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. . .

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pterran,

If it makes you feel any better please note that when I visited Ray back in 1996 he came to the door wearing blue bermuda shorts and a white shirt. He and Marquerite had just returned two days before from a month in France. He was very gracious and invited me and my family to visit for a while. We were in the same living room as shown in the video and I just rediscovered photos that were taken that day.

It was the same living room that 29 years before, in 1967, I had visited with him. I think that it is neat that he has lived in the same home for most of his life and although in a very nice neighborhood just west of Bel Air, it does not have the walled estates and stand-offish homes so prevalent with the rich and successful.

I think it is reflection of the truly humble person that Ray is. Oh, by the way, I asked him if the house with the pool was the one in LA and he said no, that it was his second home in Palm Springs. He commented that while his daughters were growing up he didn't want a pool so close to the house.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 08-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 08-19-2004).]

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the first story i read was 'there will come soft rains' and out of all the stories i read that year in soph or frosh english, I STILL get chills when i think about that story. soon after i read something wicked this way comes, after having seen the movie when i was very young and not remembering it. I read within the past year maybe, From the dust returned and am still in love with it, and One more for the Road and was just smitten by his use and style and the manipulation of words, the short stories that all at once are humorous, poignant and sad. i got slightly ostracised by my graduate school colleagues for wanting to do a report, an examination and class presentation on him and his work, but no one else knew of his work to be interested. NYU's loss. HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAY! 84 years old today and getting better with every breath.

Posts: 1 | Location: tunkhannock, pa usa | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Happy Birthday!

Two things Donn Albright told me were "he puts on those same stupid shorts every day" and his favorite beer is "Olympia Light in a tall can."

Well, evidently Ray has at least two pairs of shorts. Blue shorts, and white shorts. It was the white shorts he was wearing the day I met him. He does wear long pants for speaking engagements such as the theater, booksignings, etc.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fahrenheit 451 becuase i had to read it for school, and i thought it is really good so far cause i didnt finish it yet.

Posts: 8 | Location: Lemont,IL,Us | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,
When seeing guys in shorts, I'll often quote Psalm 147:10 (RSV)
"...[The Lord] takes no pleasure in the legs of a man." !
Now, women, on the other hand..
(nyuk, nyuk)

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then what is the Good Lord thinking?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe He was thinking of the time when men would wear shorts with black socks and sandals.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eeek.
Or with wingtips and garters...

posted Hide Post
Did he not say "thou shalteh shaveth thineth legth..."
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No - I think that was Sylvester the Cat.

posted Hide Post
What Ray Bradburys book got me started was Fahrenheit 451. This book was very interesting, at first I thought it was going to be very stupid, but quarder way through it really got me thinking, where is this Clarisse from, what happened to her. If u did not read this book I really recommend it cause the ending is unpridictable...Laters
*Lemonthighschooler*

Posts: 8 | Location: Lemont,IL,Us | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not noteworthy per se, but I casually began reading F451 in seventh grade english "free-read" time. I wasn't even sure what I had read, but I knew I liked it. Something in the cadence or creative stylings struck my brainwaves at just the right angle to have changed me ever since; I stray to other authors but always find my way back home. F451 is singled out from my collection almost yearly to be re-read, a practice which I doubt I'll ever tire of.

Posts: 1 | Location: Adrian, MI | Registered: 29 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post