Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Bradbury short story?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury short story?
 Login/Join

posted
Twenty plus years ago I read a short story in middle school Lang. Arts that I think is one by Bradbury, but I cannot remember the name. A child has to take a test and the parents are very worried about the result. The twist is that if he does well, that is bad. Can someone help me? I would like my boys to read. Thank you!!!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 04 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WF4, I believe you are referring to Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron."

If so... http://www.nexuslearning.net/b...%20Bergeron%20p1.htm

Yet, depending on the age of your boys, a memorable school related RB is "All Summer in a Day." Here: http://www.wssb.org/content/Cl...%20a%20Day/story.htm

With its classic short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MydN-3mstak

*We read countless works of Mr. Bradbury to our boys as youngsters, and I do believe this made them both more accomplished readers and comprehenders as they became literarily independent (now both in hs). Favorites, filled with imagery and family lessons included:
Dandelion Wine
The Veldt
The Rocket
The Fog Horn
The Pedestrian
The Great Wide World Over There
...to name a few.

Enjoy!

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Television writer Philip DeGuere adapted a story by Henry Slesar, "Examination Day" for THE TWILIGHT ZONE (1980s version). I confess I have not read the story, but I think that is it.

Like fjp451, wilsonfantasic4, I heartily urge you and your family to read Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct. "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut is the first story most misattributed to Bradbury. "Examination Day," by Henry Slesar, is the second. It was indeed on The New Twilight Zone.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much for your help!!

posted Hide Post
It was Examination Day that I remembered reading. I just finished re-reading Fahrenheit 451, and read The Illustrated Man for the first time. I forgot how good of a writer he was and will be sharing them with my boys!

posted Hide Post
We are always glad to help.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope it will lead good help for everyone.

Posts: 3 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT 84109 | Registered: 07 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post