Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Jim and Will (fRIENDS fOREVER?)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jim and Will (fRIENDS fOREVER?)
 Login/Join

posted
I thought it was interesting in "Something Wicked..." that Bradbury refered, several times, to some point in the future when Jim and Will would stop being friends. Does anyone have an opinion?

Posts: 14 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes i think that they will be friends for a long time to come but then again i don't seem them being old together so I think that they go their seperate ways at some point.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that fascinating too. Will has a feeling they wont be friends...so it makes me wonder why is he trying to help him if he knows there is an end in sight.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does he help him when he feels it might end? I think he helps him becuase they are friends then. Part of SWTWC is the theme of living in the moment. When people focus on their pasts, they get in trouble. When people focus on the future, they get in trouble. In this book, when people are not focused on the present, they seem subject to temptation. When they can focus on the present, they seem safer. I think that's one theme of the book.

On whether or not Jim and Will remain friends for life, think they do. The last passage that directly addresses that is right after Will and his dad "save" Jim. In that passage, Will grabs Jim and holds him very tight and wept. Jim is a little uncomfortable, and Wills ays, we'll be pals forever. Jim said, "Sure, hey sure". But Jim and Will are both moved. I think the shared experience of learning to live life and learning not to fear death, has bonded them. I'm almost 50 and have several close friends from HS. We talk on the phone, email and have a HS web site bulletin board where we share pictures and news. I think in Jim and Will's case, they stay close. They may have separate interests, but the beginning of the book talks of how close they are, they go through these life-changing experiences, and then they seem to acknowledge that they'll be pals forever. I think they will.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Will wants to be friends with Jim forever but is afraid it won't happen. Will helps Jim because as his best friend he has an obligation to help him. I think the two of them will remain friends because they have so many memmories together that they are almost inseperable for life.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. That is very interesting, I found that out through the book as well. I think that after all that has happened though that they will always remain friends forever.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
going through a situation like that would strengthen any friendship, but as we have seen bradbury does not do the "normal" thing

Posts: 15 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well very few people stay best friends forever with their childhood pals. Its just not very realistic to say that, but who knows right?

Posts: 10 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that they could be friends forever. But Will doesn't seem to go for the same things as JIm so they will probably end up seperating somewhere down the road.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that is interesting as well. I believe that they will stay friends though, because why would Will help Jim in the end if he saw that sometime in the future their friendship might end. They're too good together and I think it'll stay that way.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chelle:
I thought it was interesting in "Something Wicked..." that Bradbury refered, several times, to some point in the future when Jim and Will would stop being friends. Does anyone have an opinion?
I think after everything they went through and for it to turn out so positive then i would say they will always be friends.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering the way the book ended, It's hard to tell. It ends on a happy note, and the two of them seem to be their old selves, but we have to remember that Jim is older than Will now.
All in all I think they will remain friends.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing." -Blaise Pascal

Posts: 14 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim and Will are parallel to Toni Morisson's Sula and Nel in her novel, SULA. They are best friends of the same age and compliment each other's contrasting personalities. These characters are soul mates--they share romantic friendships. Despite the conflicts and obstacles they have experienced, these characters built such a strong foundation during childhood that they will never lose touch. Their love is unconditional.

Posts: 2 | Location: SF | Registered: 19 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post