Ray Bradbury Forums
What is your favorite quote in Fahrenheit 451 and why

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/7941040011

27 August 2004, 02:24 PM
sexybeasttrio3
What is your favorite quote in Fahrenheit 451 and why
My favorite quote is by beaty when he is explaining the history of censorship and says �Out of the nursery into the college and back to the nursery; there�s your intellectual pattern for the past five centuries of more.� It's my favorite quote because it is a perfect example of how life in Fahrenheit 451 is. It is also a very interesting quote that is very true in our lives today. It explains that when you are born you first arrive in the nursery then you study and spend the rest of your life trying to get into a good college finally after you retire you go back to the nursery like a retirement home, so, all in all it shows that life is like a short cycle.

So anyway type your favorite quote here and let everyone be amazed
27 August 2004, 02:26 PM
sexybeasttrio1
"The books, Montag!" because that is just the best ever i dont ya think
27 August 2004, 02:30 PM
sexybeasttrio3
ummm, ya very good quote
31 August 2004, 10:36 PM
Kellyk
In Fahrenheit 451 there are many good quotes but there is one that I love the most. "Don't judge a book by its cover." Pg 155. I know that the quote is a traditional one but I feel that it has a lot a meaning to Fahrenheit 451. In the beginning Montag would burn books along with the other firemen. He made a judgment, just as most of the characters did, that books are bad for you. Therefore, he judged a book by its cover. In the middle of the story Montag starts to look beyond the covers' of books. He finally realizes how wonderful a book can be and how much meaning they have to life. At that point Montag learns not to judge a book by its cover but to truly look at the lessons that come out of books. In conclusion, "Don't judge a book by its cover," has a lot meaning because, it shows the troubles that Montag went through when he judge/burned books.
01 September 2004, 03:29 AM
grasstains
"Bet I know something else you don't. There's dew on the grass in the morning."

I like that whole part where they meet in the rain. I guess I have always been nostalgic, silly, and appreciative of nature and after reading this part of the book I knew in one moment the importance of preserving all things good. Imagine, a nostalgic 14 year old. I'm now 40-ish and raising two nostalgic and awe-struck kids of my own. Actually, God just "loaned" them to me.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 09-01-2004).]
01 September 2004, 04:19 PM
caitlinmc
My favorite quote in F451 is in the scene where Faber is talking to Montag about books. Faber,"Books were only one type of receptacle where we started a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. THere is nothing magical about them at all. The magic is only with what books say, how they stiched the patches of the universe together into one garment." I like this quote because Faber explains the reality of books and life. People right now in todays world do not actually think about how much of a rule books play in everyones lifes. Without books as Faber says no one would know about their past and what kind of life they have. The only kind of memories they have is in their memories and some people in the Fahrenhiet 451 dont have their own memories because of their new surgeries they preform on people.
01 September 2004, 04:44 PM
groon
"Don't judge a book by its cover."
Kellyk,
Good choice. This one is also significant because of the theme of books being ideas, and ideas being people, etc.
01 September 2004, 07:07 PM
basioeri000
That�s a good question. I decided to use this quote by Faber to Montag on page 87. "Patience, Montag, let war turn off the families. Our civilization is flinging itself to pieces. Stand back from the centrifuge. There has to be someone ready when it blows up." I chose this quote because I thought that it did a great job foreshadowing the future of the book. I thought this because at the end of the book the city blows up due to the war. I also liked this quote and thought it was key because the blowing up of the city will help Montag and the book people to reintroduce books to people. I think that it was better this way because people might start to think that books are good and might start to realize that they are unhappy. Also, they might start to teach in school and read books.
01 September 2004, 09:17 PM
palzejon000
My favorite/important quoteto me is," So it was the hand that started it all...His hands had been infected, and soon it would be his arms...His hands were ravenous." This quote from "The Hearth and the Salamander" refers to Montag's theft of books from the old lady's house. When Montag is at the fire house. He compulsively washes his hands in an attempt to cleanse his guilt. Which I find a strong sense of guilt which he tries to forgive himself.
01 September 2004, 09:47 PM
strumpf
I loved the enormous amount of great quotes written in this book. The one that caught my eye the best was on Page 155-156 by Granger when he is talking about what his grandfather said to him about when someone dies. It seems true to me because you always need a place to go when you die and it should be a great place to you. Your soul might actually be there when you die. The only thing is it might not be something huge or gold it can be simply a wall or a pair of shoes. The quote uses a great comparison about a man who just cuts lawn versus a actual gardener. The difference is a lawn cutter doesn't change the lawn or leave his or her fingerprints on it, but a gardener wil be there forever.
01 September 2004, 10:59 PM
Voct
It is very hard to choose a favorite quote from the book, because there are so many that make you think about life today. There are quotes where Bradbury is fortelling the future, there are quotes that make you think about life, and there are quotes that just make you ponder. One quote that is powerful in the story and in life is what Clarisse says on page 10, "Are you happy?" This may seem like a pretty unsignificant quote in the beginning, but in the end it is what started it all. After Clarisse says this, he starts thinking and digging for an answer to that question. This question makes him find fault in his happiness. Even without realizing it, I started pondering about this quote and my life. I wondered if I had more things or a different life would I be happier? I really didn't know the answer to this question because there are so many things that could be. I finally decided to just make the most of the life that I have now, even if that means conforming to the masses. I don't know if I really care if my life could have more meaning or not, all I really care about right now is that I am happy with the ways things are going right now.
01 September 2004, 11:37 PM
sexybeasttrio02
My favorite quote is said by Clarisse, when she asks Montag, "Are you happy?" on page 10. This is my favortie quote because it sets up the whole story. It gets Montag questioning if he really is happy which leads him to do what he does. It is a very significant quote in the story.
01 September 2004, 11:45 PM
Monica11
"When you've nothing to lose, you run any risk you want."

Montag said this quote to Faber when he told him that he was going to try and get more books. I agree and disagree with the quote in many ways. First of all, it's true because people tend to run risks and do wrong things when they don't care about what is going to happen. They are easy going and just doing things in the spur of the moment kinda way. But, I can disagree with the quote because if you don't make any risks, then that means that your life is basically not worth living because you're never going to be afraid of what's going to happen. You should care about the outcome, and think about what you are doing. So basically, I think that Montag was wrong about what he said becuase people call a risk a risk because it is going to change your life in a negative or positive way. Even if you have "nothing" to lose, you will always have something to lose. You can never have nothing...because your life is something. Get it? So like when Montag said that he had "nothing" to lose...he was really risking his life, and his life is something. But that's only what my word is on.
02 September 2004, 12:27 AM
ekkerbri001
I think the best quote in this book is on page 141, when montag is floating down the river. He says, "The sun burnt everyday. It burnt Time. The world rushed in a circle and turned on its axis and time was busy burning the years and the people anyway, without any help from him. So if he burnt things with the firemen and the sun burnt time, that meant that everything burnt." This quote compares the sun to the fireman, which both play a big part in the story.
02 September 2004, 08:46 PM
lejmasar000
My favorite quote in this book is by Faber on page 83. "So now do you see why books are hated and feared? They show the pores in the face of life. The comfortable people only want wax moon faces, poreless, hairless, expressionless." Not only is this my favorite quote but I also think that this is one of the most important quotes. This is where it is finally evident to the reader why books are burnt. Because people are truly scared. They don't want to know what is happening around them in their society, they really don't care either. They just want to live for thirlls in life and nothing else. Like a wax moon face, their lives aren't really as good as they seem. Deep down there are things hidden that no one wants to find.