Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Need title of short story...this is a tough one!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need title of short story...this is a tough one!
 Login/Join

posted
Hi there...

In 1977 I read a collection of Ray Bradburys short stories and it was a white book...reminded me of the white album by the beatles...no real cover art or anything...

The only story I can remember had a house as the central character...something about the house coming from outerspace or something like that...

I know this is not much to go on...but I rememember loving that book and I wish I could remember more...I just know it was scary and I would love to find it again...
Please email me if you know it....
cutedame@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 04 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The famous Bradbury house story is "There Will Come Soft Rains." There may be others less well-known.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be way off here, but I suppose it could be "The Veldt", which can be found in The Illustrated Man. This is another example of a futuristic type house that does literally everything for its owners

Posts: 130 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your book could also be The Martian Chronicals, I contains a chapter that has a lone house as the central and only character.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the chapter you're thinking of is "There will Come Soft Rains" as mentioned by dandelion. I always liked that one.

Posts: 130 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the posts...I will check on all these and let ya know!

MaryJo

Posts: 2 | Registered: 04 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still wonder what the book with the white cover was. In the 1970s Hart-Davis published all RB's hardcover books with plain white dustjackets with nothing but lettering on them. I have two of these. Could cutedame perhaps have got hold of a British edition somehow?

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of three plays: The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit, The Veldt, and another one, I can't remember the title, about a man who remembers before the great nuclear war. I scanned the cover and it's up on philnic's site.

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 01-12-2004).]

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which is at: http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379

(Never miss the chance of a plug!)

- Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 01-13-2004).]

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i think lorddust is correct actually... the story is probably Usher II from the martian chronicles. The cover is hard to explain, however the story may have been used in a collection which is long since out of print. who knows?

Posts: 4 | Location: Conneaut, OH | Registered: 18 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post