Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    All About Sam Weller's New Biography on Ray Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All About Sam Weller's New Biography on Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Greetings everyone. Glad to see that the new board is up! Although it's full of more bells than this old man can handle. Check out today's Chicago Sun-Times for a much better review!

Much, much more tomorrow.

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have the url?

It must be really exciting to actually see the book coming out!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped in at Barnes and Noble and pre-ordered my copy of the Sam Weller Biography. They don't show a delivery date, so I will just have to be jealous of those of you who get yours (especially the signed ones) early! I have a note for them to call me when it comes in.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested in reading the fine review that Sam Weller's new book on Ray received in today's April 3, 2005 Chicago Sun Times, check out the following link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/books/sho-sunday-bradbury03.html

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi. I was hoping to hear Sam on with Rick Kogan's "Sunday Papers", which I thought was scheduled for this morning (Sunday) on WGN radio. But no mention of it. Of course, being a complete idiot,there is always the possibility I got the date wrong. Did I miss it?

Posts: 4 | Location: IL | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard:

Thanks for the post. This is a much better book review. It combines some commnents on Sams's book, some observations about Ray's life (oddities, really), and some comments about Ray's life. This is much more enjoyable and informative than the Pohl review.

posted Hide Post
BOOK SIGNING BY SAM WELLER

Anyone around about the Chicago area, will have a chance to get your copy of 'The Bradbury Chronicles' signed by Sam Weller.
Exactly When? Where?

Why, on:
April 10th, 3:00PM
@ Barnes & Noble,
55 Old Orchard Center,
Skokie, IL.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure when I'll get a copy, so I want quick reports from those who have . . .

Please?

posted Hide Post
Wow! My Barnes and Noble order came in the very first day. When I went in at lunch, they already had it up front for me with my name on it.

In my first scan through it, I think it's going to be amazing. One of the things I noticed right away is Weller's ability to capture Bradbury's in-person presence. When I sat with Bradbury in his home, I was enraptured with his enthusiasm, interest, story-telling, sense of humor and graciousness. Sam captures that in some of the descriptions.

I also enjoyed sections talking about Bradbury's sentimentality. I think Bradbury's ability to love and to feel is part of what makes his stories so appealing. There is always a sense of the humanity of the characters. He can empathize with them. I think it's one of the facets of Bradbury's writing that makes him so accessible outside the fields of fantasy and sci-fi.

I also loved Sam's introduction.

Congratulations, Sam; on the release of your great book on a great man!

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark : You rascal, you. You got a copy. I suppose we will all relish every word.
_______

This was posted elsewhere, but gotta post it here as well. This contains Sam's itinerary for book signings. Wow!

http://www.bradburychronicles.com

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was shocked it was in today. I feel like a kid at Christmas. I thought I'd be the last one out here to get it.

Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah, Naaaaah .....

Razzer

posted Hide Post
Had to re-register so I could post the link below. Aunt Neva's heart-felt letter and two mistresses??!!

http://www.newcitychicago.com/chicago/4247.html

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings from lovely Austin, Texas!

First. Mr. Dark, thank you for your very kind words about my book. I poured my heart into this thing. You are an amazing guy and a huge talent in your own right. Hope to see you in Dallas, Texas in May!

Nard! Launch party is Thursday night. Please come out! Please forward this on to Keith at Wheaton College as well. There will be copies on hand. Thanks for being supportive throughout.

We kicked off the publication last night with a live video teleconference with Ray from L.A. for the Texas Library Association trade show. Ray had librarians openly weeping in the audience through his words of inspiration. I hope someone taped this.

Patrick Kachurka proved once again that he is a real life action hero. We had a couple techinical snafus at the start and he stepped right in and handled everything on the L.A. end. This thing could have become the Veldt very quickly! Thanks PK! See you in a few weeks!

Lots more events on the way.....keep an eye on my web site.

Cheers,

SW

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a nice guy. Sam Weller!!! Thanks for the invite.
I will get myself over there. I'll take my wife along as well. This will be a blast!!
Sam you are one of a kind, like the maestro himself, Mr. Ray Bradbury!!

posted Hide Post
Sam: Thanks for your kind words. I have brought in your book to my class and advertised for it in glowing terms to two classes of philosophy students. You plant seeds, you know.

I really like the readability of this biography, Sam. Very nicely done!

I love the paragraph in your intro where you talk about Bradbury's work being a kind of respite for you in some rough times. I'm also very impressed that your dad read Bradbury to you in the womb and then gave you annual gifts of Bradbury books. Remember that kind of cool stuff with your own . . .

I'll check out your web site to get dates on the Dallas visit. I would love to meet you.