Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    All About Sam Weller's New Biography on Ray Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All About Sam Weller's New Biography on Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
It's Out!!!

At least by this date, March 31st, 2005...it has been out to the reviewers: Sam Weller's biography on Ray Bradbury!

"The Chicago Tribune" 'Book Section' already had a front page review this past Sunday...with a large artsy illustration of Bradbury. Reviewed by great science-fiction author, Frederick Pohl, may have seemed a bit unfair at first glance. Should another science-fiction author, a big name, having written many novels thru the years, really be the one to review this book? Well, maybe yes, and then, maybe no!

After reading Pohl's review, somewhat unfavorable, I thought...well, maybe Mr. Pohl is a wee jealous that no one has written a biography about him.

However one may review Weller's book, it really falls to each of us to determine the likes and dislikes of the book. I am sure there will be both. And that's fine. We will all peruse that book with a fine tooth-comb and garner many meaningful jewels, I am sure. Should we get a little grit with the meal...oh, that's fine with me.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked in at my Barnes and Noble tonight, and they have four on order, but no delivery date. I'll just have to call around starting on Monday and see where it is.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard:

You and Lana have both mentioned the Frederick Pohl review. When I went to a web site Lana sent to me, it wanted me to register for $29.00 or something.

Can you print just some excerpts so we can get a feel for Pohl's perspectives. How well did he know Ray? How often had they met?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope to attend the LA Times festival of books at UCLA next month and have Sam and Ray sign the Biography there. I think I will have to purchase it and then get in this enormous line to wait for the signing. Last year was a very busy place and the lines were long!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! I'm really jealous. To have both Ray and Sam sign the biography! And to meet them together. Hope you enjoy it for all of us!

posted Hide Post
The following 3 photographs (three continuous posts...seems you can do only one photo per post)...were taken at the Lisle Library, in Lisle, Illinois (pronounced LIE-AL). In Sept, 2004. Two photos show Sam speaking about the forthcoming biography of Ray Bradbury. And the other photo shows what contraptions one must fuss with to get Ray to be heard by the people attending. Speaker phone and a microphone.

ImageDSCN2988_0013.jpg (22 Kb, 19 downloads) Sam Weller Speaks about his biography of Bradbury in the works

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2nd Photo: Another picture of Sam Weller speaking...in earnest!

ImageDSCN2985_0010.jpg (25 Kb, 21 downloads)

posted Hide Post
And the 3rd.
Ray called into the library from his home in Los Angeles, but the loud speaker in the place where we were ...did not pick up Ray on the phone. So with a little 'Mickey Mousing' the situation, Sam placed the microphone to the speaker phone, and Wha!! Ray was heard by all!

ImageDSCN2997_0021.jpg (28 Kb, 19 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Nard: It looks like I'm about 20 posts ahead of you . . .

When we hit 2,000, we should have a party.

posted Hide Post
It's kind of neat seeing where everyone is from on the posts.

posted Hide Post
I also like the feature that you can see which of the members are on line when you go to "forums".

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark--I will post some quotes from the review tomorrow. I'm sorry that the Tribune is so stingy!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper/ Mr. Dark:

Click on this link, and the ''Chicago Tribune'' Bradbury biography should be the first topic to access:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/booksmags

posted Hide Post
Nard: Thanks. It worked. The disappointing aspect of the review is that it only talked about Weller's biography in the last paragraph or so. While the review was interesting, it shed little light on Weller's work. From a guy with Pohl's stature, that's a bit of a let down. I wonder if Pohl had actually read the book when he wrote the review. His love of Bradbury's work shines through, though, so I'll give him some credit for that.

When he says Bradbury should write the biography, someone should introduce Pohl to the idea of an autobiography. Perhaps that is what Bradbury should write, huh?

When it's called a book review, the writer is supposed to actually review the book -- not the subject of the book. I guess that's my problem. Pohl only says one (kind of negative) thing about the book. I read the review without gaining any understanding of the book itself. From that perspective, it was a bad review (although I'm a Pohl fan).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

posted Hide Post
I agree, Mr. Dark. Very little of substance was said about the book itself. We will have to read it ourselves and make our own reviews.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post