Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    All About Sam Weller's New Biography on Ray Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All About Sam Weller's New Biography on Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
SAM WELLER'S BOOK PARTY

Great fun for everyone, in Chicago, Thursday, April 7th.
Sam was there to greet practically every single person that came by tonight. Sam was jolly, personable, and approachable. Wow! What sort of fellow is this? No timid, introspective, door mouse... but a truly younger Bradbury brought here to carry us all into another brighter day.

April 8th, sometime by evening, I'll post a few photos taken, and place them under a seperate post title.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam Weller somehow was able to locate transient islands of light at the 'Sonotheque Club' in order to sign copies of his biography of Ray Bradbury. The place looked pretty close to midnight in the middle of nowhere. In this photo (click on the camera icon on this post)...you may... ''Find Sam''... way on the right hand side by the wall, sort of above that fellow on the far far right whose profile we can all easily point to...(got all this so far)...discussing how he came to write Ray's Biography.

Up near the top of the photo, on the left, were two video screens showing 'Fahrenheit 451'during all the festivities. (Soon as I can find a more visually discernable photo of Sam from those I took Friday night, I'll post it. So stay tuned.)

ImageP1010055_0051.jpg (77 Kb, 31 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't find him at all, but the place looks like the turnout was fantastic!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard! You are too much! All these pictures are hilarious.

It was really great seeing you on Thursday and meeting your beautiful wife. Glad we got the chance to talk a little bit. It was wonderful that Keith from Wheaton College came out as well. He's another terrific guy.

For those who missed the launch party, I will be at Barnes and Noble Old Orchard tomorrow at 3 pm. I'll be giving a talk and signing books. I will also be on Loyola's radio station, WLUW, at 9 pm for those of you in Chicago.

Thanks for all the support and kind words! Ray sends his best! I'll get him to post soon!

Cheers,

Sam

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam--Are you definitely going to be at the Printers Row Book Fair? That has always been one of my favorite Chicago festivals (along with the Newbery Book Fair and Bughouse Square Debates!), and it would be great to see you there. I may be able to make the Harold Washington Library celebration, but if not, I hope you'll be at the Book Fair. I saw it listed on your website, but no definite date.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just recently returned from Sam Weller's talk and book signing today at Barnes and Noble, at Old Orchard in Skokie, Illinois. Sam gave a terrific talk, answered some great questions, and signed books...a fun time. I am already well into the book, and recommend it to anyone with an interest in Ray Bradbury. To say I am learning things about Ray's life I never knew would be an understatement. It's a fine book. And Sam...thanks for the wonderful inscription you wrote in my copy!

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to get one for myself!

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very readable history of Bradbury, his life and work. Applause to those who designed the book jacket as well.
I don't know about that very last photo page however. Photo of Hugh Hefner and Ray placed at the top of the page, above the President and Mrs. Bush with Ray? Pictures could have had their own page. Or at least one of them shuffled around to another page. So far, my only complaint.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
April 18th, 2005..tomorrow...it is official:
''Ray Bradbury Day'' in Chicago, per the Mayor's Office. And tomorrow evening, at the Harold Washington Library in Chicago (name of a former Chicago Mayor)... Sam Weller will talk about his book, 'The Bradbury Chronicles', as well as others reading from the book, and many people expected for a turn-out.

I'll get myself over there...and take a few photos. Afterwards, post them as soon as possible.

posted Hide Post
I received my copy of Sam's book last week, and have been dipping in hoping to find answers to questions that have always puzzled me - mainly to do with various films. I have been pleased to find an explanation of the falling out of Ray and Jack Clayton (director of Something WIcked), and some attempt to explain the animosity between Ray and Rod Serling (although this one still has some mysterious elements, as if there is still something someone isn't telling us).

I haven't yet found any information on the relationships between Ray and the BBC, although this simply means that my own researches in this area are still worthwhile.

Once I've finished dipping in, I look forward to reading the book properly, cover to cover.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just found this website (strange name!) and a great interview with Sam Weller about The Bradbury Chronicles:

http://www.bookslut.com/features/2005_05_005377.php

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was a great interview. Thanks for posting the link! Great insights on both Bradbury and Weller.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope the Bradbury Chronicles are flying of the shelves.

And by the way, this new color scheme for the website is sure more favorable than the uncomfortable pallor of before. Thanks!

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Sam Weller biography. I purchased one and gave it as a gift. We can all contribute to it flying off the shelve with a little Bradbury-evangelism.

posted Hide Post
Phil, I'm where you are. Only got the book Friday and picking through for answers. I posted the following in reply to the thread where this subject was first brought up, but it can stand repeating:

As all who have Sam Weller's book now know, sadly, Mr. Electrico is not identified therein.

Here's exciting news, however! A professor is hot on the research trail, and surprises are in store!

http://www.circushistory.org/Query05a.htm

Sam Weller has been notified of this development, still in progress as his book neared completion--the first edition, that is. Of course, biographies have been revised!

Does any user here want to admit to being the professor in question? If not, perhaps Sam will contact him, and the mystery will at last begin to unravel like mystic mummy wrappings....

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post