Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    All About Sam Weller's New Biography on Ray Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All About Sam Weller's New Biography on Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I picked up a copy of Weller's biography of Bradbury in the paperback version, thinking it may contain more items that Weller had spoken of being not in the original hardback. Alas. Just a reprint. So what's the story? Is there going to be an expanded version of Weller's work?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Sam's website, January 2006:

"The trade paperback edition of The Bradbury Chronicles will be released on March 1. It is currently available for pre-order on amazon.com. The book will be published by HarperPerennial as part of the “P.S.” series and will include several features that were not in the hardcover edition, including an all-new essay by Ray Bradbury entitled “All’s Weller That Ends Weller.” Sam also contributed a new essay entitled “A Passage to Somewhere.” The back matter also includes lists of Ray Bradbury’s favorite films and books!"

Maybe you have an ordinary paperback rather than a trade paperback...?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently looked at Sam Weller's website for speaking engagements, and there seems to be none upcoming. Even tho the biography of Ray Bradbury by Mr. Weller has been out in paperback since Spring, I would have assumed he would have clicked-off a couple more minutes on the speaking circuit. But there has been no indication of one. What gives? Anyone know if he has spoken anywhere lately, or will be speaking anywhere soon?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I can figure out, he has gone underground. He never answers his cell phone. I have called his office phone at the college where he teaches and left a message with no response.

When he was here in May in connection with The Big Read he was very gracious and interesting. I had brought along a note book of letters, post cards and other items from Ray over the past 39 years and he was very much interested in seeing it, but had made plans for dinner with friends. He asked me what I was doing the next day, but I mentioned that I would be on dead line with the recruitment publication I work for. "What about tomorrow night?" Fine I said and plans were tentatively made to get together with our wives for dinner. He gave me his cell phone number and asked me to call him the next day to make arrangements.

I called four times and left messages. No response whatsoever. Nice young man as he seems to be, he ended up being an odd duck in this regard.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met him once, corresponded by email, and talked on the phone. But suddenly, he did seem to vanish, and I have been unable to get returns to calls and emails. I hope all is well with him. He was a very gracious guy, and I was glad for the success of his biography. Loved the biography, too.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumping up to ease Nard's alarm.

Yes, since the transfer, there are TWO versions of threads with the same titles! Some with few posts, some with many.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there any way we can get the year on our postings? Sometimes on this new board I think I'm reading a current post and I find out it's from a year ago. I liked it on the old board when the year was listed so we could see how long some ideas and topics have been bouncing around.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper,

don't you see the year on each post? My browser shows your post as 13 January 2007.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see the same. The year is right by the date of the post. At the bottom is the date/year registered--although mine seems a little later than I thought I remembered.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, philnic: Mine just has the month, day, no year! Ah, but the correct time is there as well.

Note: Sam Weller has finally retired his Ray Bradbury website in conjunction with his biography of Ray.
Recon it means no further talks on Ray anywheres by Sam, or book-signings, appearances, etc etc. Gosh, Sam, we hardly knew ya'.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aha! Seeking an answer to this date/time mystery has led me to discover the secret of Nard's cloaking device.

Towards the top of the screen is a GO button. Click this, and then select PERSONAL ZONE and the PREFERENCES.

You will then be able to choose your time display, your level of visibility, and whether or not you want to travel back and forward through time at will.

Well, I actually made the last one up. But that would be a cool feature for the next upgrade to the board...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Back to Sam's website: a shame to see it go, but then again it didn't change much.

The good news is that, thanks to archive.org, some of it is still accessible here.

The bad news is that archive.org don't seem to have archived it properly. The images don't work on my computer, although some of the links do.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil, probably for the basic charge, around $40.you could buy http://www.raybradburychronicles.com

I bought one, like http://www.netcinema.us but have not used it. It's that they just got sold and if you want them then you have to pay a lot to buy it from the new buyer. But Weller didn't renew his.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tempting, but I think I'll stick with the current domain name. (It only costs me a couple of dollars every few years.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil:
Back around 2001, I could have bought nard.com for $30.00 Never thought seriously about doing it. Suddenly, a few places were using it, like National Association of Retail Druggist (NARD)... But then after awhile, it was for sale. Quite a big organizations have N.A.R.D. in their title. If you click http://www.nard.com you'll see it's FOR SALE again. But this time for: $60,000.00 (Once there, click on the click at the top of that page, 'This Domain is For Sale'... and it'll carry you over to the website with the pricing.) See, there's BIG money in thar hills!