Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Can you help with the name of this story?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you help with the name of this story?
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for waht I think is a Bradbury story, it may be one of his most famous. I have not read much of his work. It's a wonderful story about the best brains in the world building a machine to find the meaning of life. The answer is "Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and soul and thy neighbour as thyself". Many thanks
Neil

Posts: 4 | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neilja! WELCOME!

I'd venture a guess and say Nope! More of something out of C.S.Lewis and "Out of the Silent Planet" than Bradbury.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Phil
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I will look where you suggest
Neil

posted Hide Post
This could be one of Fredric Brown's short,short stories called "Answer"
Since it is so very short, here it is:

Dwan Ev ceremoniously soldered the final connection with gold. The eyes of a dozen television cameras watched him and the subether bore throughout the universe a dozen pictures of what he was doing.
He straightened and nodded to Dwar Reyn, then moved to a position beside the switch that would complete the contact when he threw it. The switch that would connect, all at once, all of the monster computing machines of all the populated planets in the universe -- ninety-six billion planets -- into the supercircuit that would connect them all into one supercalculator, one cybernetics machine that would combine all the knowledge of all the galaxies.
Dwar Reyn spoke briefly to the watching and listening trillions. Then after a moment's silence he said, "Now, Dwar Ev."
Dwar Ev threw the switch. There was a mighty hum, the surge of power from ninety-six billion planets. Lights flashed and quieted along the miles-long panel.
Dwar Ev stepped back and drew a deep breath. "The honor of asking the first question is yours, Dwar Reyn."
"Thank you," said Dwar Reyn. "It shall be a question which no single cybernetics machine has been able to answer."
He turned to face the machine. "Is there a God?"
The mighty voice answered without hesitation, without the clicking of a single relay.
"Yes, now there is a God."
Sudden fear flashed on the face of Dwar Ev. He leaped to grab the switch.
A bolt of lightning from the cloudless sky struck him down and fused the switch shut.

Is that it?

In finding this, I found another which tickled me called "The End":

Professor Jones had been working on time theory for many years.

"And I have found the key equation," he told his daughter one day. "Time is a field. This machine I have made can manipulate, even reverse, that field."

Pushing a button as he spoke, he said, "This should make time run backward backward run time make should this," said he, spoke he as button a pushing.

"Field that, reverse even, manipulate can made have I machine this. Field is a time." Day one daughter his told he, "Equation key the found have I and."

Years many for theory time on working been had Jones Professor.

Written by Fredric Brown, 1961

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The closest story of Bradbury's to that would be "The Man."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds a lot like Magrathea from hitchikers guide to the galaxy(the book) but its the wrong answer. sorry. For some reason I can also see that in something by H.G. Wells.

I need help finding a story's title too. its about everyone is exactly equal in the future. strong people have to wear binders and weights. Beautiful people have to wear masks to hide their beauty. smart people have to wear devices to disrupt their thoughts. please help me. if i find your story i'll post the title.

Posts: 10 | Location: an evil rabbits mouth | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kurt Vonnegut's, Harrison Bergeron.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I was all stressed out because i couldn't find it!

Posts: 10 | Location: an evil rabbits mouth | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Braling 11 for replying. I was away and only just read your post. The story you mention is interesting but not the same. The one I remember WAS a primitive supercomputer which worked away for months but the answer was different. Thanks also Dandelion, I will check out The Man when I have time. I've never been on a forum before and I appreciate your help