Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    May or may not be a Bradbury story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

May or may not be a Bradbury story
 Login/Join

posted
I remember it from 8th grade english book. Story is about a gladiator type setting in which a human is battling a monster and there is a force-field type enclosure. He realises that something inanimate can pass through the force-field, so he smacks himself in the head and knocks himself out and passes through the force-field.

Need help, this has been bugging for about 20 years.

Posts: 1 | Location: salt lake city, utah 84116 | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not by Bradbury, but if no one here answers I can post it to the usual places.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds like "Arena", by Fredric Brown. I think it was once adapted for the TV series The Outer Limits, and was also used as the basis of a Star Trek episode.

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second that answer. Definitely "Arena", by Frederic Brown.

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post