Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help..
 Login/Join

posted
My favourite story was one I read years ago as a child, but I don't know the title. Can anyone help me? It's about a dead man who rises from the grave to find a future society in which bodies are burned in enormous furnaces, and all traces of horror and unease in fiction have been erased. He enters a library and asks about Lovecraft, but the librarian has no idea what he means. Can anyone tell me what the name of this story might be, and where I can find it?

Posts: 2 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 29 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings to the beautiful Emerald Island!

Perhaps you speak of Pillar of Fire? In the year 2274, a man named Lantry awakes, and on his journey investigating this new world, he finds people don't mourn the dead, they don't fear meeting strangers on dark streets, and the works of Edgar Allen Poe have been burned in favor of non-fiction. Is he the living undead? Or is he just a man awakening from suspended animation?

One of Ray's best short stories.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Greetings to the beautiful Emerald Island!

Perhaps you speak of Pillar of Fire? In the year 2274, a man named Lantry awakes, and on his journey investigating this new world, he finds people don't mourn the dead, they don't fear meeting strangers on dark streets, and the works of Edgar Allen Poe have been burned in favor of non-fiction. Is he the living undead? Or is he just a man awakening from suspended animation?

One of Ray's best short stories.

"For the love of God, Montresor!"

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:

The Cask of Amontillado?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I think that's it!

Posts: 2 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 29 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:

The Cask of Amontillado?

Yes. And the last line of Pillar of Fire, if you recall!

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the story/film that was written by Ray Bradbury that has to do with a little girl in school who has seen the sun, but when it shines on the planet for the first time and a short while, she has been locked in a bathroom? I vaguely remember seeing this film based on Bradbury's book, but I cant remember its name. I desperately need to find this story. Thank you!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story is called "All Summer in a Day".

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aura, do a search of this message board and you will find countless references to that story/film - it's one of the most frequently asked questions round these parts.

Also: hop over to youtube.com and search for "All Summer in a Day". The film is often to be found there (until it gets removed for copyright infringement).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QWmahMdeGU

ASIAD, by RB
Part I-II-III - each runs about 9 minutes.
Classic stuff. Enjoy.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys (and girls), I also need some help with a Ray Bradbury story.
I've read this story long ago, but I've forgotten the title. It is about a few sci-fi writing friends and they are having a chat after a dinner. And this guy who writes sort of ultra-super technology sci-fi stories and that guy tells the others about how he got his ideas. Finally, it is revealed that actually he lives in a world that he himself created, all the friends are actually a creation of his.
You know what that story is? And also is htere any way I can find it onlie so that I can read it again. I read it like 15 years ago. Yet it is one of my favourites.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The One:
Finally, it is revealed that actually he lives in a world that he himself created, all the friends are actually a creation of his.

Reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode A World of His Own. But then again, without Ray Bradbury, there is no Twilight Zone!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Is that a short story?
The one I'm talking about is a short story.

posted Hide Post
It's short, but it's by Richard Matheson.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Guess it is not the one I'm talking about then. Too bad I can't remember the name. It was a hell of a lot interesting story... I'm really a bit surprised not too many people know about it...