Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Looking for story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for story
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for a story I read many years ago, I'm almost sure it was by Ray Bradbury. It is about two men stranded on an island. Suddenly an object comes crashing from the sky; it turns out it is an alien spacecraft. They approach the wreckage and discover a wounded creature in it. They argue as to how to treat him. The alien is badly wounded and might die. The narrator, a gentle man who abhors his companion, tries to comfort him; the other guy, a nasty piece of work, wants to kill him. They argue. At last another spacecraft appears. When it lands, creatures similar to the wounded one emerge and heal their friend. Before they put him on their spacecraft for the trip back home, they abduct the brutish guy. The narrator manages to escape. The aliens give up searching for him, and prepare to fly away. The narrator first congratulates himself for his luck, but then a thought disturbs him: they are taking with them that disgusting fellow. All their knowledge of humans will be based on him. He cannot allow that: at the last moment, right before the aliens take off, he runs towards them and begs them to take him too.

I have searched Bradbury's work to no avail. Does the sketchy description above ring any bells?

Nora

Posts: 1 | Location: Israel | Registered: 04 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although it sounds like something Bradbury might write, I am fairly sure it is not by him.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nora:
...I have searched Bradbury's work to no avail. Does the sketchy description above ring any bells?...

Hi Nora, and welcome to the board.

I'm sorry to say that it doesn't ring any bells with me, and it doesn't really sound like a Bradbury story. It strikes me as more like Fredric Brown, or maybe Henry Kuttner.

Maybe someone else will recognise it.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post