Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Somewhere a Band is Playing
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Somewhere a Band is Playing
 Login/Join

posted
I received my copy of the Gauntlet Press limited edtion of Somewhere the Band is Playing. I've already read the novella but this book adds so much to the backstory that I know I'm not going to be able to put it down until I have finished it.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great news. Mine is on order, but I wasn't sure when they would start shipping.

My only problem is I 've got so much reading stacked up now, I don't know when I will ever get round to reading the torrent of new RB material that's coming through!. I've had to put aside Match to Flame, as I have other stuff I need to get to. And I STILL haven't got to Farewell Summer yet - that's nearly two summers gone since the book came out!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, are you in a time warp? Two summers gone since Farewell Summer came out. I think not as I just finished reading it several months ago after I had ordered it from Amazon.com. Could you be thinking of some other Ray Bradbury novel?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't it come out at the end of summer 2006? So the two summers are 2006 (gone!) and 2007 (nearly gone, not that we had much summer in the UK).

Actually, I've just checked Amazon, and it was published in OCTOBER 2006.

So, only one summer nearly gone! I must indeed be in a timewarp.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, not much has been said about this, but I am curious as to your thoughts on Chapter 37 of Farewell Summer when Quartermain wakes up and discovers something different? Then Douglas also has a similar situation albeit perhaps new to his experience.

Without spoiling it for those who have not read the book, I am just curious as to your reaction to this. I asked Ray about it and he said that in about 40 years I, too, would have that same experience. Well in 40 years I would be over 100 so it'll be sooner than that.

With the headliner news last week about more seniors having active sexual lives way up into the later years, perhaps not all have the experience the same way and at the same time frame.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I eventually get round to reading it, I'll let you know!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I like that the British say "get round".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again Doug has stopped me in my tracks with the surprising news that Brits say something that (I presume) Americans do not say! So what would you say, Doug?

Presumably, like the Beach Boys, it would be "Get Around".

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil, you've sussed it. (Something else we don't say over here...)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane.

That event is similar to the same event that happens in RB's short story, "Junior," when the same "pleasurable activity" occurs (I'm not worried about a spoiler as the book has been out awhile; but am not sure the gentle way to say it...). The old man is so "excited," he calls the women from his past who have "enjoyed it" with him to come and share the experience one more time.

In "Farewell summer," I think some of this is tied to RB's recognition that sexuality is a fundamental part of the human experience. The old guy has one last "event" before dying, and at the same time, Doug has his first event as the beginning of his male adult life. This book is partly about transitioning from childhood into adulthood and this event (for men) is a clear sign that life is indeed "moving forward and upward".

I think it is a bit heavy-handed (juxtaposing the two so that they occur at the same time), but great symbolism, nontheless. For Bradbury, sexuality is one of the true signs of life.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Once again Doug has stopped me in my tracks with the surprising news that Brits say something that (I presume) Americans do not say! So what would you say, Doug?

Presumably, like the Beach Boys, it would be "Get Around".

They would say "I get around", indeed - Americans!

I would say "I get round", but then, I'm an Anglophile!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, thank you for mentioning the previous work of Ray's as I will reread it.

Also thank you for your comments as well. What I have enjoyed most about Farewell Summer as well as Dandelion Wine, is that neither are science fiction nor fantasy. In fact many of Ray's later collections, i.e., The Cat's Pajamas and Driving Blind, all contain not one story that could be labeled as either science fiction or fantasy but a reflection upon life as it is.

posted Hide Post
I love his science fiction, but I also enjoy his stories about life. In his poetry is the most obviously religious and I enjoy those, also. He is far more multi-faceted--as a writer and a thinker--than he is generally given credit for.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, you know I have most of Ray's books, many of them signed by him to me, but I don't own one book of his poetry. I am going to have remedy that either by Amazon.com or eBay.

Thank you for reminding me of his other talent. I do have quite a few poems that he would send out with a Holiday message, but all one sheet and from Ray and Marquerite.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I love his science fiction, but I also enjoy his stories about life.

But the sci-fi stories are about "life", too! The best science fiction (including Ray's) is not really about the future & techology at all; it is about NOW and about HUMANITY.

Anyway, Mr Dark, I do understand what you were getting at.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post