Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Somewhere a Band is Playing
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Somewhere a Band is Playing
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
This weekend I finished reading Now and Forever: Somewhere a Band is Playing and Leviathan '99. Somewhere a Band is Playing is vintage Bradbury, with plot twists and turns until the finish. Even though going in we know that Leviathan '99 is Moby Dick in outer space, Bradbury's detail in updating this classic for the year 2099 will never make this selection appear to be dated. It was a fresh read, and I really enjoyed this futuristic version. Earlier this month I received the Gauntlet Press edition of Somewhere a Band is Playing, and the extra goodies make this a welcome addition to any Bradbury collection. If the high price scares some of you off, try shopping for the book at either Amazon or Buy.com, where shipping is included. My copy came from Buy.com, where it was a numbered and signed edition, and arrived sealed in shrink wrap.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, July 30th, got kicked out of the house for a couple hours (my wife had company)...and so I took to wandering Border's Books in Aliso Viejo.

AND...took the new paperback copy of 'Somewhere a Band is Playing', sat down on one of those now more than ever scarce benches inside the store, and began reading. (Before I started reading, however, I was intrigued by the cover. Doesn't look like this one was printed in the conventional sense. Likely more and more book-covers are being done this way. It's likely produced on one those ultra-glorified digital Xerox machines. Has an iridescent mystique. And it looks great!)

Getting back:
Anyway, read about 30+ pages and must say this is vintage Bradbury...at his wonder-making best.

Was emotional reading his take on why he wrote the story, how Katherine Hepburn fits into all this. I suddenly had this urge to drum up a bunch of dollars from a bunch of people, open an exclusive "Bradbury-Boutique Bookstore". Nothing but the Bradbury writ. And then I thought...this is strange, somewhat overpowering desire to communicate to others. And then I began to evaluate once again, what this strange power his words have over a reader, and what it all means.... not like I haven't analyzed all this before in previous postings, but it's amazing to re-experience the whole darn thing over again new...!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just looked back over this thread to see if I ever commented on Somewhere A Band Is Playing. Apparently I didn't. But I do think it is better than a lot of Bradbury's late-period releases. I was drawn into it much more than I was ever drawn into Let's All Kill Constance. I also found it much more engaging than Farewell Summer.

Speaking of the latter, I see that I never gave an informed response to biplane1's question about the scene towards the end of Farewell Summer.

Like Mr Dark, I thought it was neat from a symbolic point of view, but it felt kind of clumsy, and a little embarrassing. There are plenty of authors who could "get away with" such a scene, but I don't find it sits comfortably in the Ray Bradbury universe, and certainly not in the Green Town context.

Overall, I found Farewell Summer (which I finally read in summer 2008!) to be a brisk read, with some excellent scenes. But it's no Dandelion Wine. I can understand why this was, for fifty-some years, the "unpublished half" of the original DW manuscript.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, I have much the same fellings to "Summer". You said it very well. I have yet to read "Somewhere". I hope to do so soon.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get to it, BII. Treat yourself to the Gauntlet edition, and read all of the out-takes. You will see some amazing cross-overs between Somewhere and DW.

PS: BralingII, I've lost that thread where you were talking about your computer problems, so while I'm here: I agree you could be suffering from a Java problem, especially since the problem is not restricted to one browser. You should reinstall Java.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil - I'll give it a try.
(That thread was the "Ruled Paper-Miscellany" one, by the way.)
I'll also see if I can get ahold of the book soon. Mrs. Braling takes off for England Sunday, so maybe soon after that.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I picked up the compilation at the library (local book stores don't have it and I can't afford the Gauntlet edition), so I'll get to reading it soon!
Still haven't reloaded Java...

posted Hide Post
BII, you can probably read it in a single sitting, as it's not very long. (Has anyone else noticed that in many of Bradbury's recent books, they usually start each chapter on a new page on the right hand side, to justify the page count. That, and use unusually large print and line spacing...)

I hope to be putting a review of the Gauntlet edition on my website in the next couple of weeks.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I noticed the large print thing immediately I opened "Farewell Summer". I was disappointed, knowing that would be a short read.

posted Hide Post
I did invest in the Gauntlet edition and just received Now and Forever: Somewhere A Band Is Playing & Leviathan '99 in the mail yesterday, but have not started reading either. But, with what Braling II, greenray, and Nard have indicated as a good read, I shall start ASAP.

Wow! I can't keep up with it all. I am buying A Match to Flame on installments, just ordered on Amazon.com Summer Morning, Summer Night along with Skeletons thanks to my iwfe getting a bonus today. Then there is the new book, There's Always Paris (did I get that title correct?) and then I still have get the screen play of Moby Dick recently released.

I ask: what living author today has so much going on in regard to works being published, plays being produced, etc., etc?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
..then I still have get the screen play of Moby Dick recently released.

I ask: what living author today has so much going on in regard to works being published, plays being produced, etc., etc?

Don't forget that MASKS will be out soon and Halloween Tree comes out on audio on October 1st, from Blackstone.

We'll Always Have Paris will be 22 all-new short stories.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darn John, you had to remind of those others!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
...thanks to my iwfe getting a bonus today.

Then there is the new book, There's Always Paris (did I get that title correct?)...

1. That's a good use of a spouse's bonus!

2. We'll Always Have Paris

3. Or what dead one, for that matter?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
We'll Always Have Paris will be 22 all-new short stories.

So that's how Ray has been spending his mornings of late!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got this and have fallen in love with this story.

I do not want to reach the end!

Damn it Bradbury! Why are you sooooo good!

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post