Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Help me please
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me please
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know the name of this short story. it is set in the future and everyone has a disabilities to make on no smater or srtonger than the other. Know the name of ot?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree! On no smater or srtonger.

And sorry. I do not know the name of ot! What is the name? (And by the way, what's an ot anyway? Some ort of sort?)

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might be referring to Kurt Vonnegut's short story Harrison Bergeron.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, if you got this one right before all the rest of us could think of the title, you should be required to wear an electro-charge skull cap to keep you even with the rest of us here! http://www.scifimoviepage.com/images/harrison1.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He just got to it before I did. I informed Bradbury that this was actually the story most mistaken as being by him. He was less than pleased.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"We'll settle his hash!"
- Diana Moon Glampers,
Handicapper General

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100% Vonnegut.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion~ This is a bit off-topic, but if Mr. Bradbury was less than pleased that Vonnegut's was confused with his, who are his favorite authors? Whose writing does he enjoy? I can't remember if I've ever seen that anywhere.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 25 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kvk:
Whose writing does he enjoy?

Perhaps this is more than you want to know, but here are a few of his favourite things (from a fairly recent interview):

What was the book that most influenced your life or your career as a writer -- and why?
The John Carter, Warlord of Mars books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, which entered my life when I was ten and caused me to go out on the lawns of summer, put up my hands, and ask for Mars to take me home. Within a short time I began to write and have continued that process ever since, all because of Mr. Burroughs.

What are your favorite books, and what makes them special to you?
The collected essays of George Bernard Shaw, which contain all of the intelligence of humanity during the last hundred years and perhaps more.
The collected poetry of Alexander Pope, who is perhaps the greatest poet outside of Shakespeare.
The collected plays of Shakespeare, which influenced me during my life.
Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Quite obviously its impact on my life has lasted for more than fifty years.
The books of Loren Eisley, who is our greatest poet/essayist of the last forty years.
The short stories of Eudora Welty, the short stories of Edith Wharton, the short stories of Willa Cather, and the short stories of Jessamyn West. All of these women influenced me because they taught me the special, tender, feminine side of humanity.

What are some of your favorite films, and what makes them unforgettable to you?
The Hunchback of Notre Dame with Lon Chaney, which I saw when I was three. The film convinced me that there was a little bit of The Hunchback in me at an early age.
The Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney, which terrified me but sent me on the road to becoming the great lover of Chaney's films. When he died when I was ten, I figured no one was safe.
The Mummy, 1932, with Boris Karloff. It is a sensitive, simple, and wondrously frightening film, one of the best of its kind.
King Kong, 1933. Of all the monster films ever made, this is the greatest. It has a grandeur about it and an element of unrequited love between Beauty and The Beast. It remains one of the greatest films ever made.
H.G. Wells's Things to Come, 1936, because at the end it told me about outer space and of travels to the Moon. When I staggered out of the movie I decided that I would spend the rest of my life trying to do something about going to the Moon and Mars.
Lawrence of Arabia. There is no way to even begin to comment on this film. It is grand in every direction you want to take it.
As Good as it Gets, with Jack Nicholson. This film has an incredible screenplay, incredible cast, and incredible direction. It's one of the most perfect films of its kind ever made.
The Haunting, 1962, directed by Robert Wise. This is the finest horror film of its kind ever made because it terrifies you without showing you anything; it's all light and shadows.

What types of music do you like? Is there any particular kind you like to listen to when you're writing?
Mainly the Russian composers: Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Mussorsky, They were all taught by the great master, Berlioz. If you want to find the source of much of the music of modern day Russia, you will find it in the incredible compositions of that crazed lunatic Berlioz.

What are your favorite kinds of books to give -- and get -- as gifts?
I look to the person that I'm giving the book to and then I judge what to give them.

Do you have any special writing rituals? For example, what do you have on your desk when you're writing?
Every day at 9:00 a.m., for two hours, I begin a new short story, sometimes finishing it, or write an essay or poem. This routine has continued for sixty-five years.

I have my favorite cat, who is my paperweight, on my desk while I am writing.

Many writers are hardly "overnight success" stories. How long did it take for you to get where you are today? Any rejection-slip horror stories or inspirational anecdotes?
It took me roughly 30 years. It was a long, slow process with a thousand rejections. I'm still getting rejected this late in time. The important thing is to continue writing and continue being in love with books, authors, and libraries.

What tips or advice do you have for writers still looking to be discovered?
Fall in love and stay in love. Do what you love and nothing else. Don't look at the market, look into your heart and find what is there and put it down.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Doug. My answer was more along the lines of, yes, this has been published, but too numerous to mention.

Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and Edgar Allan Poe were near the top of the list.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
who is this story by then?

Posts: 10 | Location: an evil rabbits mouth | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OT is a good word.

And so is Eep Op Ork Ah Ah

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ROTFL, bro!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LordShen:
OT is a good word.

And so is Eep Op Ork Ah Ah

Not too proud to admit it, but I know the source of those "lyrics"!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
really, well what is the source?

Posts: 10 | Location: an evil rabbits mouth | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post