Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Simply a great idea

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simply a great idea
 Login/Join

posted
A few week ago, I read a contributor's comments about "The Skeleton." I believe there was some confusion or misunderstanding as to what Bradbury had in mind in this story. I reread the story and had a good laugh. I think Bradbury may have been walking on the beach and either saw a jellyfish or stepped on one and had a great idea. Sometimes, I think we forget that Bradbury is one of the greatest story crafters ever. As to the "Skeleton" and others he had a great idea and then crafted a story around it. I do not believe there was any thought of motive or moral to the story. I do not think he was telling an alien story. He was just having fun with a great, funny idea.

Posts: 16 | Location: Tempe,Az. USA | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray described the origin of the idea for "Skeleton" (and several of his other stories)in his introduction, "Drunk, and in Charge of a Bicycle", to his outstanding collection, THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY (Alfred A. Knopf, 1980). He says he went to the doctor as a young man, claiming that his neck and throat felt strange. The doctor said that Ray was suffering from a bad case of "discovery of the larynx", and that everyone at one time or another discovered tendons and bones in their bodies that they had never noticed before. Ray says that he "went home, feeling my elbows, my ankles, my ribs, my throat, and my medulla oblongata", and wrote "Skeleton" that very night! Imagine taking a visit to the doctor and turning it into a classic short story! The power of Ray's imagination never ceases to amaze me.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, thanks for reminding me of that explanation. Now that you mention it, I remember reading it. Not only does Bradbury have a vivid imagination, but his use of the language is phenmonemal. His word power compliments his skill as a writer. I rise from every new story with a renewed appreciation of what can be done with the language, Bradbury style.

Posts: 16 | Location: Tempe,Az. USA | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post