Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    anyone else like Constance?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone else like Constance?
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone else out there a Constance Rattigan fan?
What's this I hear about a story based on her? Can it be true?

Posts: 6 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't read DEATH IS A LONELEY BUSINESS in a lot of years, but Constance has remained one of my favorite Bradbury characters. I've heard whispers of a third mystery featuring her, too--Bradbury himself dropped a cryptic line about it when I told him I loved Constance--but he seems wrapped up in so many other things right now, who knows when and if he'll finish that book?

I like Constance so much, when RB signed my copy of DEATH I asked him to initial the page where she's "resurrected" and appears at the narrator's doorstep. He did me one better and wrote in the margin: "Constance, dead, decided she wanted to stay alive! I HAD to let her in! Ray B." Maybe he thought he was going to kill her off, but he really loves her as much as we do.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 20 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my writing I've found the characters who refuse to be killed are often the most interesting, and Constance is certainly a lively one.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ray Bradbury will be publishing his third mystery novel (projected for the fall). It's called "Let's All Kill Constance!" Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to it.

Best,
Greg Miller

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But the question remains: whom is she based on?

I can identify the Ray Harryhausen and Fritz Lang characters in Ray's novels, but who was the real inspiration behind Constance?

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can answer that one.

Incidentally, Greg, Bradbury seems to have gone through a string of titles for his third mystery; as of 1997, he was calling it THE RATTIAN (when typing and drunk--he probably meant THE RATTIGAN). He's been at work on the book for many years; I just wonder how many more he'll take to finish it.

Anyway. "I share your fascination with [Constance]. She is based on a girl I knew in High School way way back in 1935 who used to come up to me at lunchtime, lie against my chest and laugh in my face, knowing that she was getting results with my adolescent body. Her name was BINGO." --R.B.

posted Hide Post
Bill,

I enjoyed your comment about Ray adding an extra comment while signing your book. He is so great at doing these little things--something that sets him apart from from many current authors.

He has added illustrations to many of the books he has autographed for me and I have greatly appreciated it.

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so envious you guys have gotten autographed books! I'm from North Dakota, and I don't think we've ever had a major author come through. I'd love to have a signed copy of Graveyard for Lunatics. I wonder if there's any chance of getting an autographed copy of Let's All Kill Constance? Anyone know?

Posts: 6 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a pessimist; you should probably wait for some confirmed publication information before you start dreaming of a signed 1st.

But if you really want a signed Bradbury, there have been discussions on this board recently about sending books to him at home. You can always look up his address, or send something through his publishers.

posted Hide Post
EBay and Bookfinder.com often have signed copies of Ray's books for auction and for sale...Right now, eBay sellers have 37 different signed Bradbury books up for auction, and you can find a signed copy of "A Graveyard for Lunatics" on Bookfinder.com for $40.00 or so.

Also, according to the Christmas card I got from Mr. Bradbury in late December, "Let's All Kill Constance!" is due to be published this coming fall...Something to look forward to!

Hope this helps,
Greg Miller

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Green Shadows, White Whale," being out of print, is a great find. Yes, Ray Bradbury used to accept at his home books to be signed. Of course, it would mean using two boxes: one, inside, addressed to you, and with proper postage (which has to be stamps--meters are no good except from the city from which they're issued, and if you don't live in the same city, well then) in a larger outside box addressed to him. If you're from out of the U. S., it means messing with International Reply Coupons, I hate to think. In any case, he didn't sign his Christmas greetings, and he hasn't answered my last two messages, both of which asked if it was okay to send books to sign. You're welcome to take your chances, but I am not sending anything until I receive confirmation that it is really okay! (If I were you, I'd steer clear of Suzanne Crough of "The Partridge Family" as well. She's had about four boxes of my stuff for about two years!)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than "Death Is A Lonely Business" and the upcoming "Let's All Kill Constance" what else has Constance appeared in?

Posts: 21 | Location: Edwardsville, Illinois | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Constance also appears in A Graveyard for Lunatics, which is my favourite.