Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    which RB books now?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which RB books now?
 Login/Join

posted
hey everyone. first post here. I'm a teenager from Seattle, WA, to let you all know.

anyways, I really enjoyed reading Dandelion Wine and The Martian Chronicles and I'm wondering what to move onto next. I'd prefer something not exceptionally scary (is Something Wicked very horror-story like, or what?). Give me any recommendations.

Posts: 3 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, Something Wicked is pretty scary. Fahrenheit 451 is intense but not necessarily scary. If you're reading them in order of fame that should be next on the list. In order of reading level, I would recommend R is for Rocket, S is for Space, and The Illustrated Man. Some stories have been repackaged as Classic Stories 1 and Classic Stories 2. There are also the two large collections The Stories of Ray Bradbury and Bradbury Stories which include all of those considered the best. Welcome and enjoy!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks!

yeah, I was looking forward to reading Something Wicked, but if it's scary I'll probably pass it. I can deal with some horror and even enjoy it (I loved the Lonely One chapter in DW), but I have a pretty overactive imagination and I've learned from experience that too much horror stuff can freak me out, haha.

Alright, I think I'll go grab F451, The Halloween Tree, the Illustrated Man, R is for rocket, s is for space, and maybe Golden Apples of the Sun and a Graveyard for Lunatics. Sound good?

edit: oh, and don't worry about my reading level. I've been an avid and skilled reader since a young age. I read LOTR in 3 days when I was 9, haha.

Posts: 3 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That all sounds good. I was just about to suggest The Halloween Tree.

As far as A Graveyard for Lunatics, it is considered a sequel to Death is a Lonely Business with Let's All Kill Constance following. For some reason, probably because it is not a mystery, Green Shadows, White Whale is not considered a part of this series although they are all very autobiographical stories with the same narrator.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barkjon:
yeah, I was looking forward to reading Something Wicked, but if it's scary I'll probably pass it.

No! You must read it! But not until October. "First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys." Poetry. In fact, it's more poetry than horror, and it's not horror in the same sense to which horror is referred today.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To an extent it depends on what you mean by "teenager". 13-19 is a loooong timespan when you are 13-19.

I don't think SOMETHING WICKED is scary for many teenagers, but I agree with Doug that it is best enjoyed in October. (Unless you live in the hemisphere, in which case March might be appropriate.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How refreshing to read barkjon's comments!! Stick around, young man! You are in the Best RB Company that anyone could ask for!

I just offered my second session of F451 to an adult lit. class at a state university up the road. I have a gentleman in class who has taught courses related classic comics (from the 40-50's). He has shared many copies of Mr. Bradbury's short stories illustrated by those artists of such marvelous talent:

http://comicbookcollectorsclub...eird-Fantasy-17-.jpg
http://www.scottedelman.com/wo...nSplashWallyWood.jpg
http://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfro...t/n_ii/600/65377.jpg
http://www.pulpsandcomics.com/dtaweb2/CK22-023.jpg

Whether to hs students or adults, Ray Bradbury tales are always a joy! Golden Apples are short stories of great imagination, vision, and wonder. My first RB title when I was about your age!!
barkjon...Read on!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
barkjon, I would definitely recommend Something Wicked This Way Comes . It does have some scary bits, but nothing that's as scary as the Lonely One chapter in Dandelion Wine, and you say you enjoyed that!

I agree with dandelion that Fahrenheit 451 is the most "important" of the books you haven't read, and next in line should be The Illustrated Man.

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks everybody! just ordered a bunch of RB books from the library... hope to read them soon!

I got...
F451
The Illustrated Man
Farewell Summer
Something Wicked
The Halloween Tree
A Sound of Thunder and Other Stories
(Golden Apples and R is for Rocket)
From The Dust Returned

basically a bunch of his books that interested me. couldn't find any of the Death Is A Lonely Business series, strangely.

posted Hide Post
And who-all here envies him?