Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reading Age
 Login/Join

posted
Who is reading and does age have anything to do with what we read? Has the theater, movies, radio and TV reduced literacy in the United States?

I saw “Becoming Jane” the other day. A film that speculates about a relationship that Jane Austen may have had and how it could have affected her writing. Good film. Enjoyed it a lot.

In my area there are two major theaters. A mainstream complex with about fifteen screens that shows films “guaranteed” to make money, and a smaller art house type complex with four screens that shows a lot of foreign language films and films like “Becoming Jane”.

The theater showing “Becoming Jane” was packed with all kinds of couples. Mr. And Mrs. Jones, Ms and Ms Jones and Mr. and Mr. Jones. Good. Open minded, thinking people. But there was hardly anyone younger than fifty. In fact, most were at least sixty and some needed assistance walking. (Sometimes I need to lean against the wall myself to cough.)

So a scary question comes to mind? Are the people who might read someone like Jane Austen attriting out of our society or is it that people won’t read that sort of author until they reach a certain age?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in my early 40s, I love to read like a fat kid loves cake, and I've never read Jane Austen. But even I know that famous opening line when I hear it.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
Sometimes I need to lean against the wall myself to cough.

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in awhile! Thanks.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
...I love to read like a fat kid loves cake...

OK - that's two of the funniest things I've heard in awhile - thanks!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate that in every bone I have left.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Age can take its toll.
I can't put my leg behind my head anymore...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap's "Q" is ironic in view of the plot of the ss "The Total Experience Kick", by Charles Platt. This photo brought the sf classic immediately to mind:
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/...s_wl/r2033292435.jpg

(Hey, Chap and BII!! What's up?)

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post