Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favourite Book
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite Book
 Login/Join

posted
For me it has to be the short story Rocketman as it was one of the first stories I recollect reading. Like alot of his books its wonderful how Ray mixes nostalgia, eerie and ethereal moments, that are haunting and romantically sad. Ray's words have a knack of whisking you away on a whim of childhood memories and intrigue. Far off places that you never want to return from. Call me a sentimental fool but his books I believe are good for the soul.

Posts: 24 | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone can tell me where this story was printed or how to get a copy of the story I would be most appreciative. There was a quote from the book that I have lost and I could kick myself now!

Posts: 3 | Location: Phoenix, AZ USA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully some sort of answer to your quiry Jerry. I think the story "The Rocketman" was in "The Short Stories of Ray Bradbury" publisher Knopf. Here in the UK this book could of been one of the two volumes, the second one I think, red plain jacket softback with yellow bold lettering. Im sorry but I dont have the book with me at the moment, but I hope that was some help for now.

Posts: 24 | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman:
For me it has to be the short story Rocketman as it was one of the first stories I recollect reading. Like alot of his books its wonderful how Ray mixes nostalgia, eerie and ethereal moments, that are haunting and romantically sad. Ray's words have a knack of whisking you away on a whim of childhood memories and intrigue. Far off places that you never want to return from. Call me a sentimental fool but his books I believe are good for the soul.

You Put That Perfectly. When I Read Bradbury I'm Always Amazed At How I Can Seemingly Smell The Smells And Taste The Tastes. I'll Never Forget How Wet And Miserable I Felt While Reading The Long Rain, And That Was 25 Years Ago.

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's also in "The Illustrated Man".

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
It's also in "The Illustrated Man".

The story "Rocketman" im thinking of is different to the one told in "The Illustrated Man". This particular short story is told from a childs view, yearning for the safe return of ones father. The Mother has a certain sadness about her as if she is waiting for the inevitable to happen, the sad revelation of when the rocketman leaves for the stars again he will never return to his family. In the end the revelation becomes true, the rocketman dies by falling into the sun, as Ray brilliantly puts it.

posted Hide Post
Rocketman, you just described the Illustrated Man's "version" of The Rocketman to a T!

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 04-30-2003).]

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WritingReptile:
Rocketman, you just described the Illustrated Man's "version" of The Rocketman to a T!

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 04-30-2003).]

Maybe the British publications differ slightly to that of your own in the US. Compare this..."The Illustrated Man" Im reading was last published in the UK of 1995 by Flamingo Modern Classic, an Imprint of Harper Collins Publishers ISBN 0-00-647922-7.
The story "The Rocket" (Illustrated Man)is similar to the one I read In Ray's "Short Stories." But there is no title by the name of "The Rocketman" in the 1995 publication of "The Illustrated Man." hu..hu...hu....PHEW!. That was a mouthful.

posted Hide Post
Yes, that would explain it. Forgive my americo-centricity.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They cheated you. Why would they leave "The Rocketman" out of an edition published in Great Britain?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the above posting, it looks like the UK version of "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" was split into two volumes. Rocket Man is in the US version. It is also in "The Golden Apples of the Sun". It was published by Perennial. The Rocket Man is also in my copy of "R is for Rocket".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WritingReptile:
Yes, that would explain it. Forgive my americo-centricity.

Hey dont worry not your falt, just these bloody british publishers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
From the above posting, it looks like the UK version of "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" was split into two volumes. Rocket Man is in the US version. It is also in "The Golden Apples of the Sun". It was published by Perennial. The Rocket Man is also in my copy of "R is for Rocket".

With the answer to your first question about leaving out "The Rocketman" in a british publication?...Hey who knows?, your guess is as good as mine. And yes the "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" were in two volumes I have one of them , a red plain jacket cover with yellow bold lettering and "The Rocketman" is in that.

posted Hide Post
quote:

"Wouldnt you adam and eve it!" Ive just checked the 1984 british publication (Granada) of "Golden Apples of the Sun" and guess what?...drum role if you please...da da da da daaaaa "The Rocketman" isnt in there either!. Is this some kinda wind up I hear you say and the answer is!.........no.
Some nice pen illustrations though, artist unknown...typical.

posted Hide Post
Well, I love England, so the apparently willful censorship of "The Rocket Man" is distressing, as it precludes this great story to much of the British population!

:-(