Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What is the last Ray Bradbury book you read?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the last Ray Bradbury book you read?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
What a pity that Ray edited only two anthologies. I see that, like me, dandelion doesn't seem to have the other one, The Circus of Doctor Lao.

Oh, I have it, I'm just debating whether to try to read my copy, which is so old and fragile it's falling apart, or try to track down all the stories in other sources.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read The Martian Chronicles a few months ago. I have lost track on how many times. I read The Halloween Tree last October. I am right now reading the Illustrated Man and also picking put random stories in The Stories of Ray Bradbury. I also read Fahrenheit 451 about a year ago for the second time. When I first read that many years ago, I like it but not as much as his other works. This time around, I felt it was a powerful and prescient novel.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 21 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, obviously the one I was reading when he passed was Collected Stories, Volume 1.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just re-read most of "The Bradbury Chronicles", edited by William F. Nolan and Martin H. Greenberg. And, although the stories are written by other authors, one of Ray's stories is in it, as well as his afterword. (Is that what it's called?)

And WFN is right in his introductions: "This one will stick like a burr in your memory." "You will remember 'The Inheritance'." Ohhh yeah, definitely. Some stories are so powerful it is tempting to quote them, and I forbore only because they weren't Ray's stories. (Except one.)

"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still reading Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Vol. 1: 1938-1943, hoping to finish this month. Haven't checked off so many unread stories since A Memory of Murder came out in 1984! I am finding these of surprisingly better quality than A Memory of Murder and wondering at the relative obscurity of some of the stories, previously available in maybe one anthology apiece, if that.

posted Hide Post
'Tis that time of the year again....my ABSOLUTE fave timeSmilerSmilerSmiler!!!!

"Once a Ray Bradbury fan, always a Ray Bradbury fan!"Smiler

Posts: 32 | Location: Bermuda Triangle | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finished reading Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Vol. 1: 1938-1943 on Halloween. Taking a break before starting Becoming Ray Bradbury.

posted Hide Post
Just finished Leviathan 99! What an interesting twist of Melville's white whale's tale (tail)!!
So is this a timely news clip, or what?
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor...cumented+off+norway/

Now reading, Somewhere a Band Is Playing. More "poetry!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I have read that news story, I can answer in the affirmative to Ahab's question, "Hast seen the white whale?"

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, pard.
Made me fog up a bit there.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I finished Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales on December 12. I needed something special for 12/12/12, especially as I keep a numbered list of every book I read and this one happened to be #1212! Just luckily, I hadn't read the Introduction and three of the stories. Two more I had read in magazine versions only, so read them all to finish the book.

On December 15 I finished Ray Bradbury: Master of Science Fiction and Fantasy, by Wendy Mass. An informational book in which most of the facts are factual, but even had everything been correct rather a blah treatment of an awesome subject, then there are the mistakes: Louella Parsons identified as a movie star rather than movie/gossip newspaper columnist, 15 years off on Walt Disney's death, it says on page 67 that the Bradburys spent 6 months in Ireland and on page 87 that they spent 7 months, and there are annoying errors about Fahrenheit 451 and other subjects. Ray deserves much better!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
...then there are the mistakes:...

Pretty poor for a book which is specifically targetting the education market. Even if the author made those mistakes in draft, a good editor would have corrected them.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last Bradbury book I read was actually a re-reading, of MOBY DICK: A SCREENPLAY.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Not actually a book by Ray, but the FM issue dedicated to him................

"Once a Ray Bradbury fan, always a Ray Bradbury fan!"Smiler

Posts: 32 | Location: Bermuda Triangle | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post