Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What is the last Ray Bradbury book you read?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the last Ray Bradbury book you read?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Dandelion Wine for the umpteenth time but I hadn't read it in ages.

Wonderful....just heartbreakingly wonderful

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freeleigh:
...Then picked up a newish copy of Golden Apples of The Sun. I was unpleasantly surprised that it was not the same book I owned (but since lost)back in the late 50's! I had especially looked forward to re-reading Hail and Farewell, but the new copy did not have it!

If you look carefully, you may find that the book you picked up is called GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN AND OTHER STORIES (or something like that) - it's a different collection/arrangement from the "true" Golden Apples that we grew up with!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see you, Phil!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm currently listening to a new 2010 audio version of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" does that count?

( It's great btw )

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you look carefully, you may find that the book you picked up is called GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN AND OTHER STORIES (or something like that) - it's a different collection/arrangement from the "true" Golden Apples that we grew up with!

Thank you, philnic! Yes, I did notice the full title later on. I call that sneaky publishing. Frowner

I checked out your excellent blog and I thank you. I especially noted and appreciated the two caveats you included at the top of your complete listings of Bradbury stories. The copyright page of this new copy of Golden Apples is a good example of the sloppy research on the part of publishers. For example, they simply source "Here There Be Tygers" as "Copyright 1951 by Ray Bradbury."

There were faces with echoes in them. Echoes of hikes on ravine trails...

Posts: 9 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freeleigh:
...For example, they simply source "Here There Be Tygers" as "Copyright 1951 by Ray Bradbury."

...which is probably true, but gives little indication of the prior history of the story. Thanks for your words of praise, Freeleigh; I only wish I had time to keep/bring my website up to date!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally finished Sam Weller's The Bradbury Chronicles, to give a good idea of how far behind I am and how long this took as I started around the beginning of November. I thought finishing on the 19th would be appropriate because Ray wrote a story called "The 19th."

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While all that is fresh in your mind, you should read BECOMING RAY BRADBURY, which will embellish (and fill in some of the gaps in) Weller's account.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Well, I've been wondering whether to do that or take a little break.

posted Hide Post
Becoming Ray Bradbury
A bunch of ss for an upcoming class

Currently - revisiting October: Something Wicked This Way Comes!

In reading SWTWC...
jkt's ~ "You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? - You are a poet!"
(Aldous Huxley) continues to jump into my mind as I am reading.

When I am done with Something Wicked, I will go back to Mars via Martian Chronicles!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
In reading SWTWC...
jkt's ~ "You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? - You are a poet!"
(Aldous Huxley) continues to jump into my mind as I am reading.

SWTWC is the longest dark poem ever!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...SWTWC is the longest dark poem ever!

Unless you count Moby Dick!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
"A Pleasure to Burn".

It was a pleasure, albeit one with schadenfreude, to read both predecessors of F451, one after the other, with interesting similarities and differences.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, since you asked, and I need a handy record anyway, here is every book I have read by and about Ray and the dates on which I finished. 37 years, 50 books, and I still haven't read all or read enough by and about Ray Bradbury!

R is for Rocket, 1975, November 27?

S is for Space, 1975, November 27?

The Illustrated Man, 1975, November 27?, May 27, 2002

The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit and Other Plays, 1975, November 27?

Twice 22, December 4, 1975

The Halloween Tree, 1975 (8th grade, first half), May 29, 1984

The Martian Chronicles, March 30, 1976

Fahrenheit 451, May 17, 1976, paperback, novel only. April 21, 1982, two short stories in hardcover only. February 22, 1984, hardcover novel only--although I must have read the two short stories again in The Stories of Ray Bradbury.

Dandelion Wine, June 9, 1976, May 7, 1984, and August 22, 1990

I Sing the Body Electric!, December 4, 1976

The Machineries of Joy, 1977, on or after May 6

Something Wicked This Way Comes, 1977, Summer (Between June 10 and September 1), April 25, 1984

The October Country, April 17, 1977 and October 31, 1984

When Elephants Last in the Dooryard Bloomed, November 26, 1977

Timeless Stories for Today and Tomorrow, edited by Ray, December 2, 1977

Long After Midnight, January 2, 1978

The Day It Rained Forever, March 11, 1979

Where Robot Mice and Robot Men run round in Robot Towns, March 12, 1979

Switch on the Night, May 12, 1979

The Vintage Bradbury, January 12, 1980

The Stories of Ray Bradbury, December 16, 1982

The Ray Bradbury Companion, by William F. Nolan, July 30, 1983

The Small Assassin, September 10, 1983

Ray Bradbury by Ray Bradbury, September 10, 1983

The Haunted Computer and the Android Pope, October 7, 1983

A Memory of Murder, February 14, 1984

The Complete Poems of Ray Bradbury, March 2, 1984

The Anthem Sprinters and Other Antics, March 17, 1984

Dinosaur Tales, March 23, 1984

To Sing Strange Songs, June 8, 1984

Dark Carnival, August 1, 1984
(Stories read in the following versions: 15 stories from The October Country, 4 from The Small Assassin, 3 from The Stories of Ray Bradbury, 2 from the original Dark Carnival book, 2 original magazine versions, and 1 in an anthology. I have the excellent reissue with the additional material but have yet to read it!

The Bradbury Chronicles by George Edgar Slusser, November 7, 1984

Death is a Lonely Business, June 1, 1986

The Toynbee Convector, June 12, 1989

A Graveyard for Lunatics, December 9, 1990

The Ghosts of Forever, April 9, 1992

Green Shadows, White Whale, March 17, 1993

Zen in the Art of Writing: Essays on Creativity, August 22, 1993

Yestermorrow: Obvious Answers to Impossible Futures, September 16, 1993

The Bradbury Chronicles: Stories in Honor of Ray Bradbury, September 27, 1993

Mars and the Mind of Man, by Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, and others, April 28, 1994

Pillar of Fire and Other Plays, December 4, 1998

Quicker than the Eye, January 11, 1999

Driving Blind, December 27, 1999

Ahmed and the Oblivion Machines, January 7, 2000

From the Dust Returned, January 15, 2002

One More for the Road, July 30, 2011

Farewell Summer, August 22, 2011

The Cat's Pajamas, October 31, 2011

The Bradbury Chronicles, by Sam Weller, February 19, 2012

posted Hide Post
I received my copy of Jon Eller's book today.

It certainly brings back memories to scan dandelion's list. I have been meaning to do a bibliography of my Bradbury-related books as well. I dipped into Timeless Stories just the other day, reading the excellent "The Hour after Westerly", by Robert Coates.

What a pity that Ray edited only two anthologies. I see that, like me, dandelion doesn't seem to have the other one, The Circus of Doctor Lao.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post