Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Least fav. story
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Least fav. story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I understand your point. I think, though, that what McCullers and Salinger do is recognize the idea that, at some level, each of us perceives our lives through the window of our own imaginations. Good literature lets us see the multiple perspectives of life as perceived through the imaginations of each author. I think that Salinger and McCullers write fictional autobiographies that are VERY LARGELY works of the imagination. In other words, although they appear close to reality, they are �close to reality� only AS PERCEIVED by these authors. At some level, the quality of the writing is in the creative power of perception and expression through the use of their imaginations. I therefore view them as works of the imagination.

Are they as fun as Bradbury? No way!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, I am glad we agree (somewhat). This perception of reality bothers me. Sometimes reporting experiences in real life takes us far beyond the point of comfort. This becomes evidence in Dorthy Allison's Bastard out of Carolina, Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God, and Walker's Color of Purple. I like Bradbury's brand of comfort because he fits it neatly into a little package that does not cause us to flinch or wince in mental pain. When I walk away from "What do you want to be when you grow up besides a dinasaur"or "The Other Foot, or a mirad of others, I say, "Great, Now I feel better." I can then put all the "green towns", the "autumn people" and all the leaves blowing in the wind back on the shelve until another time when I need a sip of dandelion wine or a ride on the dark carousel

Posts: 16 | Location: Tempe,Az. USA | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely agree that Bradbury is, overall, not a particularly dark writer (in the sense that darkness wins), but like that he deals with the dark side of evil and the dark side of human nature. Not all stories end up cheery, and in many cases, fear, doubt, self-doubt, revenge, loneliness, cruelty, etc., are all very real themes of his stories. He is a very rich writer who first turned me on to a world of ideas (F451). But it is the case that some of his stories can be pretty "brutal": "The Playground", "The Veldt", "The Dwarf", "The Small Assasin", and others. I also think that, while "Something Wicked This Way Comes" ends on an up-beat, the evil is very real and the weakness of human emotion is also very real.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Member of the Wedding" compares more closely to "Something Wicked This Way Comes" than with "Dandelion Wine" in theme and tone. Compare Frankie's views and aspirations concerning life to those of Jim. It is, however, more like "Dandelion Wine" in being a coming-of-age novel in an artistically rendered but essentially realistic American setting of the past. For even grimmer subject matter, see "To Kill a Mockingbird," by Harper Lee, which evokes an idyllic Depression-era childhood against a background of injustice and intolerance.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moderator, Glad you mentioned To Kill A Mockingbird. Harper Lee continues this growing up with a tinge of fantasy idea that I was talking about with Mr. Dark. Jem, Scout, and Dill absolutely thrive on the mystery and fantasy of Boo Radley. I think most young people need this diversion from reality to grow up sane. Yes, A Member of the Wedding, and Something Wicked This Way Comes are companion pieces.

Posts: 16 | Location: Tempe,Az. USA | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post