Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Martian Chronicles
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles
 Login/Join

posted
All time fave book.

Weez-bo

Posts: 4 | Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 26 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine too!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the the thing about Ray Bradbury's writing is that he seemed to clearly see what the world would come to.

The Martian Chronicles is so stark in many ways.

But so pure.

What a writer!

Weez-bo

Posts: 4 | Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 26 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Rocket Summer:"

One minute is was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringing every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears along icy streets.

And then a long wave of warmth crossed the small town. A flooding sea of hot air; it seemd as if someone had left a bakery door open. The heat pulsed among the cottages and bushes and children. The icicles dropped, shattering, to melt. The doors flew open. The windows flew open. The children worked off their wool clothes...

Rocket Summer. The warm summer desert air changing the frost patterns of the windows, erasing the art work...

People leaned from their dripping porches and watched the reddening sky. The rocket stood in the cold winter morning, making summer with every breath of its mighty exhausts. The rocket made climates, and summer lay for a brief moment upon the land. . . .

(Now, enjoy the video clip here - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16099441/ )

Biplane, quite a sight, I bet!?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It wasn't until the 11:00 PM news that I remembered that the shuttle was to be launched this evening. Darn! But I guess that it was very visible, particularly for those closest to the beach as we are about 12 miles inland.

But I do remember in 1969 seeing the separation of the rocket booster which sent the first men to the moon. And it was quite awesome.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But didn't the Martians kills the Humans in the First Expedition? Now THAT would have been a news story!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
phil,
They did, indeed. Poetic irony!

SEE: http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/Academics/Astr221/SolarSys/Martians/marvtele.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

posted Hide Post
Now this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070110/sc_space/nasaann...osed2011marsmissions

Be sure to peruse the Reuter's captions alongside the slideshow. Some very interesting developments. Mars is hot again!

I especially like photo #6. Can you imagine having swum in the wine colored waters of this deep crater (before itall evaporated)?

MC is on my classroom reading list for next semester. Can't wait...Great stuff!

posted Hide Post
fjp451: That is a great website. Thanks! Lots to look thru. Came across this news about Stephen Hawking: Yowie!
http://www.space.com/news/070108_ap_hawking_space.html

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Yowie!" is right! The pound:dollar ratio is 2:1 now!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
"Yowie!" is right! The pound:dollar ratio is 2:1 now!

Indeed, this is a great time for the likes of me to be ordering stuff from the USA!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Indeed, this is a great time for the likes of me to be ordering stuff from the USA!

Such a coincidence - I always order my Harry Potter books from Amazon.co.uk! I much prefer the British versions - they're so much more British!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a copy of The Martian Chronicles
today , I happend to see it in a bookstore.
I love the movie so much I wanted to read it. Big Grin

Posts: 9 | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board!
Enjoy that book!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post