Ray Bradbury Forums
The Halloween Tree

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/7551024372

30 July 2006, 08:38 PM
Ginny
The Halloween Tree
Hi, I was just searching for "The Halloween Tree" DVD for my daughter and happened upon this site. I love the movie and never read the book. Now I can't wait to get the book. I know the post by Dandelion was made 3 years ago, but thank you for the information. That was really interersting and I'm glad you posted it. Thanks!
22 December 2016, 12:58 AM
ibcf
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
The interview with Ray Bradbury and Chuck Jones in Psychology Today, April 1968, will tell you all you need to know. The story of the little trick-or-treater standing on his head on Jones's lawn, and Bradbury's reaction to it, is priceless. It's also fascinating to read between the lines and see how the interviewer may have influenced the plot. The interview says not one word about the search for Pipkin. The interviewer felt the story sounded purely educational and not entertaining. It's quite possible Bradbury added Pipkin in response to this assessment. The film was eventually made, but years later and not by Jones. The cartoon version featured only four trick-or-treaters instead of eight and is quite well-done.

Wow! I know this post is ancient, but do you still have that Psychology Today article by any chance? I'm an animation fan and I'd love to learn more about this. Thanks!
22 December 2016, 07:19 AM
dandelion
Personally I don't have it but you don't need the magazine. It has appeared in a book.
22 December 2016, 01:14 PM
Richard
ibcf, the book to which dandelion refers (where the Ray Bradbury/Chuck Jones interview from PSYCHOLOGY TODAY is re-printed) is CHUCK JONES: CONVERSATIONS, edited by Maureen Furniss. There are currently about 24 book dealers selling new or used copies for on the Advanced Book Exchange website, which can be accessed by the link below:

https://www.abebooks.com/servl...+Jones+Conversations
23 December 2016, 12:39 AM
ibcf
Thanks! Well I feel pretty silly now--it's right there on Google search, isn't it? Don't ask how I was able to find this 13-year-old post but not the book, haha.