Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favorite Title Request (Thanks)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Title Request (Thanks)
 Login/Join

posted
I went back about 9 pages until all things began blurring together and did not find anyone mentioning this story. It's one of my favorites and I am trying to find it again. I think it is called "The Sakkuro Family," but I must be wrong, as I have found nothing when searching under that title.

The story goes as follows:
A woman spies on the strange habits of her neighbors, reporting all she sees to her disinterested husband. The neighbors are paranoid about the weather. Why? She finds out when the unfortunate family is caught in a dounpour. All of them melt away, apparently made of sugar.

I love the mix of the exraordinary (people made with sugar?!) with the mundane (a nosy neighbor). I'm very sure it's Bradbury.

Any help/suggestions? Thanks so much. And thanks for tolerating another "do you know the title...?" request.

Posts: 2 | Location: Californa | Registered: 25 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was mentioned here, but a long time ago. The story is "Rain, Rain, Go Away," by Isaac Asimov, first published in Fantastic Universe, September 1959, and collected in The Complete Stories, Volume 2, Doubleday Foundation 1992.

Asimov is the author most frequently confused with Bradbury. This is the second mention for this particular story, but some have come up several times.

Hey, Kaiyote, are you by chance related to a Coyote who posted here a long time ago? He wanted a robot story it took us a long time to identify. By the time we found it, he was long gone.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, I was tearing through a variety of sci-fi back then, having just discovered it at a teenager. I even got to meet Bradbury (very briefly) at a talk he gave at the Oceanside Library. After his speech, I wanted so much to say something deep yet complimentary to him, but was very nervous and tongue-tied. All I got out was the classic comment of, "Love your work," and, "Thank you, sir."

Anyway, the good thing is this: hunting that title gave me an excellent excuse to go reading through my old Bradbury books. Now that I know better, I'll have to conduct even more "research" so I can choose a new favorite Bradbury story. Smiler

Nope, no relation to Coyote, I am just an unrelated phonetic equivalent. Sorry. Out of sheer curiosity, what was the searched for Robot story?

Thanks again, Dandelion!

-Kaiyote

When coyote howls, she laughs with joy at herself, the stars, the universe beyond.

Posts: 2 | Location: Californa | Registered: 25 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is "Rain, Rain Go Away" about? I have read a few of Bradbury/s stories but I have never heard of this one.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post