Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Save one book?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Save one book?
 Login/Join

posted
According to this article, Ray Bradbury would save a book by GBS. What would you save?

After days of religious heaven/hell/salvation debates on this site, I guess most of you would choose the Bible. I think the ultimate dye test is how you LIVED your life.

A Hummer...He would definitely drive a Hummer.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Good article.

Okay, excluding the Bible (for me it is THE touchstone book, AND it encompasses ALL types of literature -- a good reason for saving it if you can only save one!), and excluding Bradbury (since this is his site).

I vote for Henry David Thoreau's "Walden", "Civil Disobedience" and "Life Without Principle". The writing is superb. The social criticism, definitions of the religious sentiment, and philosophy directly define and challenge our lives. This challenge, if met, improves the quality of our existence. The writing is so good, you don't even realize you're thinking critically.

In VERY CLOSE second (probably a tie) would be the primary essays of Ralph Waldo Emerson, for the same reasons. (The Oversoul, The Harvard Divinity School Address, The American Scholar, Literary Ethics, The Transcendalist, and others)

My dad and I, when I was back in high school, used to have both friendly and heated debates on who was better. In my youth I sided unquestionably with Thoreau as the superior; but I am hard-pressed to pick a favorite today.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If necessary, just give me 1 chapter...

That would be the First Chapter of the book of Ephesians, in scripture. I lived on that for 2 years... I can live on what it says...forever....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the work and reflections of Emerson and Thoreau, and the psalms are works of art.

For me, probably, the complete works of Shakespeare, including his sonnets. However, Jane Eyre is a contender and many others, but I need to limit.

What about living writers? What book would you save other than one of Bradbury's?

posted Hide Post
How about, "A Prayer For Owen Meany" by John Irving. Subsequently made into a movie called "Simon Birch".

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it would have to be "To Kill a Mockingbird," my favorite novel of all time. (The movie's not half-bad, either.)

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd take a dictionary with all the rude words underlined-- only joking.

I'd probably take the biography of Che Guevera by John Lee Anderson. One of my hero's and a complicated man with a complicated story. He reminds me of Jesus in many ways, although I don't know if he ever drove a Hummer.

peace
Frankanger

Posts: 29 | Location: UK | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a book, (excluding the Bible - I agree with Mr. Dark's comment) it would be the complete works of Shakespeare. I don't think I really need to expound on that.

If I could only have a SHORT story, I would tote around a copy of "Markheim" by Robert Louis Stevenson. I try and read this little gem every few weeks. With every read, I'm always reminded that much of life is based on choice - not fate, or chance, or even circumstances.

I love the suggestions many of you have made - I haven't read most of the works mentioned, and it's so hard to hear good recommendations on books these days...I think a trip to the library is in order.

Posts: 18 | Location: Utah | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post